• forty nine •

Start from the beginning

"They took her out of the court and to the police station. She was only there for a couple of hours though. Chris came to get her and managed to work it out so that her charges were dropped and she only had to pay a fine, if that makes you feel any better."

"No Tremaine, that does not make me feel better, not even in the slightest! They still put her in handcuffs, had her in the back of a police car and made her sit in a filthy, cold, stank ass cell as if she was a freaking criminal! I know my La, she would never do anything to deserve that!"

"Babe, I need you to just breathe for a second okay? I can hear you getting yourself worked up."

"You just told me my best friend got her child taken away and arrested in the same day, how else you expect me to react?!" I whispered furiously.

"I understand you're upset Kelz but just know that she's home now. I'm actually with her and Chris at the moment."

"How's she holding up?" I asked anxiously.

"Not too good, honestly. It's a whole lot more to the story, like too much to explain over the phone. You should really get here as soon as you can. TJ's already at Bey's house since she wanted to see him anyway, you wanna just drop Kiara off there?"

I sighed deeply, "Yeah I'm on it, gimme like half an hour. I'll see you soon."

We hung up and I let out a loud groan before resting my forehead on the steering wheel. I could real life cry right now. I don't understand how any of this happened but I'm damn sure about to find out.

"Mommy are you okay?" I heard Kiara's little voice say from the backseat.

I lifted my head up and put on my best face as I looked at her through the rear view mirror. "I'm fine sweetie, thank you."

"Are you sure? It sounded like something bad happened." she replied softly.

"Just some grown up stuff baby. And I'm sorry for my language, you weren't supposed to hear me talking like that."

"That's alright mommy, just as long as you're okay. I don't like seeing you sad."

"Aw, Kiki you are such an angel. It's supposed to be my job to worry about you, not the other way around."

"You're telling me kids can't worry about their parents?" she said with a perplexed look on her face. I couldn't help but laugh.

"The only thing a kid should worry about is simply being a kid. Speaking of which, your father and I have something to take care of real fast so how do you feel about me bringing you to Auntie BB's so you can see your cousins?"

"Is that even a real question?!" she shrieked.

"Uh huh, you getting all excited but just make sure that homework gets started while you're over there."

"How bout it'll be done by the time you get back." she replied innocently.

I smiled, "Even better."

I quickly dialed Bey's number and she answered within a few rings. "Hey sis, what's tea?"

"A very fitting question at the moment." I mumbled. "For starters, tonight's plans are canceled."