Chapter 29

Darryl POV

George and I ran towards an opening in the fence. There was a hole that seemed to be ripped out of the fence. We got through the opening and looked around.

Did the others make it in time?

I heard someone shout my name, "Darryl, George, over here!"

I turned around and saw Zelk and Clay running towards us.

"Are you guys okay?" Zelk asked us.

I glanced at George, "Yeah we're okay."

Clay spoke for the first time, "Where's Zak?"

Oh no, he's not here.

"He was shooting at the guys and he told us to run." George explain, worry evident in his voice.

"And you guys left him?" Zelk exclaimed.

I nodded, bowing my head in shame.

How could we be so stupid?

It was fight or flight, and we chose flight.

And Zak chose fight.

Now we don't know where he is.

"Maybe he'll show up soon?" George suggested.

So we waited.

It was at least 20 minutes until Zelk spoke up, "He's not coming back."

My eyes flooded with tears. What if he's hurt? What if the captured him? What if he's dead?

I tried to shake all those thought out of my head as I stood up. "We need to go find him." I said.

George stood up too and said, "Yeah let's go."

But Zelk and Clay hesitated, "Are you sure we should go back in there?" Zelk asked.

I looked at them like they were crazy, "Of course we should go in there!"

"Maybe we should-" Zelk started.

I cut him off, "Listen Zelk, Zak's the reason you're out of that place right now. I wanted to leave you guys so we could escape. But Zak refused and made me stay, so don't you dare say that you're not going in there. Or I will drag you in there myself."

I gave him my best glare. I tried to picture Zak's glare. If he gave anyone that look it feels like he's piecing your soul.

I guess I did an okay job because Zelk and Clay stood up.

"Okay let's go." Clay said.

Then we headed off to find Zak.