Chapter 3

Darryl POV

I was awakened by a soft voice, "Darryl wake up."

I opened my eyes and sat up. Zak was looking at me.

"Whats up you muffin?" I asked.

"It's almost time for breakfast." He said.

How does he know what time it is?

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Around 8:00 am."

I looked into his brown eyes. I want to know what happened to him but he's so quiet. I want to get to know him better. So that's what I'm going to do.

"They should give us our food right about now." He said.

As if on cue two plastic trays were slid through a slot in the door. Zak hopped off his bed and grabbed the trays, he handed one to me and sat down.

I looked down at the food in my plate, it was a weird substance that I didn't recognize. "What is this?" I asked.

Zak shrugged, "I don't know. It was pretty gross at first but you get used to it." He said, picking at his food, "You have to eat your food or you'll die tomorrow."

My eyes widened, "What?!"

"If you don't eat your food and try to starve yourself they'll kill you." Zak said with a serious expression. After a couple of seconds he cracked a smile and laughed. "I'm just messing with you."

I sighed in relief, "Oh my goodness, don't do that!"

He laughed again began to eat. I decided this would be a perfect time to get to know him, "You said you've been here for a year?"

"Yeah."

"How's that been?" I asked.

He looked at me with an annoyed expression, "It's been great. I'm so happy to be locked in a room for a year." He deadpanned.

"Sorry that was a muffiny question." I said.

"Muffiny?" He said.

"Yeah, muffiny. It means silly or dumb." I explained.

"Okay." He said slowly. He's probably weirded out.

"Don't judge me you muffin!" I said.

He smirked, "Do you like to eat muffins?"

"Obviously, I used to eat them all the time!" I said, imagining all the muffins I could've been eating right now.

"So are you a cannibal?" He asked.

That question caught me off guard.

"What?" I asked.

"You called me a muffin, and you said you eat muffins." He said with a smile.

"You know that's not what I meant you muff-"

I cut myself off before I could finish and Zak laughed. We spent the rest of the day just talking. I was trying to talk about more personal things but he kept avoiding my questions.

At least I got to know him a bit.