Chapter 1

(The beginning is the same as Chapter 9 in my book Definition but I changed it up a bit and extended it)

Zak POV

Silence.

That's all I've heard for the past year.

I've been stuck in this stupid room for a year.

I keep track of the time based on when they feed me.

How old am I again?

Oh yeah, I turned 19 this year.

They feed me twice a day.

In silence.

They don't say one word to me.

Maybe they are trying to drive me crazy.

I remember I saw an article about people who go inane when they are in the quiet for too long. I guess a year isn't long enough.

I don't get much sleep here so I'm thankful for my habit of constantly staying up late. Sometimes I sleep in and I wake up a day later with two plates of food waiting for me.

They feed me through a small slot in the door.

I've thought about killing myself multiple times but I'm determined. One day I will escape and go back to my family and friends.

I miss them.

I'm sure they miss me too.

Why am I here again?

I was going to the store at 1 am.

Typical me.

I should've known better.

But one second I was shopping and the next I was knocked out.

I don't know why they chose me.

I guess I'm just unlucky.

Small noises seem so important now. The tap of shoes when they come to give me food. Sometimes when I'm lucky I can hear faint voices through the door.

I'm sitting on the bed, or not really a bed. It felt more like rock. But I was sitting here bouncing my knee. It's been a habit of mine since I was little.

Suddenly I heard a shout and my head snapped towards the door. It opened for the first time in a year and someone fell through.

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter! I will be posting one chapter everyday :)