------------------------

S.U 

Sasuke closed his eyes, placing his phone down on his bedside table. He relaxed, lying down on his bed with both arms folded in behind his head. On the foot of his bed, his best friend piped up, "Was that Shikamaru?"

"Yes," answered Sasuke, his eyes still closed. "He managed to find Sakura just like I asked him too and he told me each word of her conversation with Ino."

Sasuke could hear Naruto shift uncomfortably on the quilt. "Don't you think you're being a bit creepy? Like, you technically just hired Shikamaru to stalk Sakura for you."

"It's not stalking, it's finding out information about her without her knowing," Sasuke replied coolly. "Even if I am being slightly creepy, don't lie. You would pay Neji to track Hinata if she went to hang with Toneri or Shino or something."

"As if," Naruto huffed and rolled his eyes, before adding. "Neji would do it willingly."

Sasuke let a smirk play on his lips before instantly dropping it when he recalled Sakura's conversation with Ino. Naruto must've noticed because he said, "I know that expression. What's up? Did Sakura reject you?"

If Sasuke's eyes weren't closed, he would've rolled them. "Dobe, I never asked Sakura out."

"She doesn't want you, same thing," Naruto shrugged. 

"No!" Sasuke said indignantly, it was just weird to admit that he, an Uchiha, wasn't wanted by a woman. "Well, yes. But she still didn't reject me."

"You know Uchihas can get rejected too," Naruto sniffily, as if he could read Sasuke's mind. "But, moving on, Sakura doesn't want you?"

"I mean, I expected it," Sasuke said tiredly. "She said she just wants to leave me and the situation in the past, and she doesn't trust me to change. She's right though, for not wanting to be even around me."

"But the situation wasn't your fault," Naruto pointed out. "Just tell her-"

"I can't," Sasuke quickly interrupted. "It's my choice. It's an order. You know that."

Naruto sighed. "Yeah, I know. I just wish-"

"Me too."

It was silent in the room. Naruto spoke up, "So Sakura choosing to stay away from you, is it a good or bad thing?"

More silence. Then, "You know the answer."

It was depending on whose perspective of the situation you were looking at. For Fugaku, this was excellent because his cold youngest son would finally accept his destiny and move on instead of being hung over a dropout. 

For Sasuke...it was complex. For the perfect son, it would a necessary bit of hardship to get him back onto his main focus; work. It was like slapping him into reality and out of his dreams. But the other side, the one that dreams, still childishly hopes to be with Sakura even if all hope has run out. He hopes to be together with his first love, even if the chances are slim. 

But, Sakura staying away from him was more a good thing than a bad thing. That situation would never have to repeat itself, and Sasuke could move on knowing that there was absolutely no chance now. Maybe Fugaku would scowl less at his youngest if Sasuke finally lived up to be the perfect son, just like Itachi.

"I'm asking you," Naruto replied. Sasuke opened one eye, curious, and the blonde shot him a goofy grin. "You know, not Fugaku's heir, or Itachi's brother or the legacy of the Uchiha. I'm not asking the pressured son or the tired celebrity who hates his fangirls. I'm asking my best friend. Without all of those titles, all of those bits of pressure mounted on you. Just Sasuke Uchiha. I'm asking him whether or not this is a good thing. Just plain old Sasuke Uchiha."