8

"Do I really have to do this?" I whined, clinging to Dhalia's arm as she guided me through an unfamiliar building. After Caroline and I returned from our brief shopping trip, we received the news about the hunters in the area, suspected of being after me. Dhalia was currently leading to the place where they were keeping the hunters prisoner, as apparently it was necessary for me to see them.

     "Yes, honey. Unfortunately we do need you to see if you can ID them. It'll be over soon I promise." she said, trying to reassure me. Her words did little to ease my nerves, as I really wasn't looking forward to meeting the people who were suspected of trying to hunt me down. Who knew what they had planned for me if they actually got a hold of me. It made my stomach churn. 

     Dhalia's hand reached out and she tenderly caressed my arm in a soothing motion. I gasped as I felt a tingly warmth stemming from Dhalia's hand spread across my hand and up my forearm. It vaguely reminded me of the sensation that I felt when Kastiel's skin touched mine, but somehow it was completely different. Hers was that of ease and calmness, as apposed to how Kastiel made my heart race.  

     "What is that?" I asked, peering up at her but not pulling away. I trusted Dhalia even though I hardly knew her. Something about her seemed so caring and loving, it was impossible to not trust her.

     "Along with being a werewolf, I was blessed with a special ability." she said, her fingertips grazed my arm again and I felt the pulsing of energy flow through me, settling to a serene calmness. Her eyes flashed intensely as the power moved through her, into me. "I am a healer, and in turn can control emotions." 

     "That's amazing, Dhalia." I smiled at her in awe. I had never met anyone with special gifts before and I was baffled.

     She led me down a hallway that was capped by a door. She stopped before she turned the knob, giving me one final squeeze, sending more of her positive juju to me. With a reassuring glance, she opened the door to lead me down a dark staircase. The air got significantly colder as we descended the steps and Dhalia's comforting grasp was the only thing keeping me from shivering. She led me over to an iron door and I heard shuffling inside and muffled grunting. What on earth was going on in there?

     An ear shattering growl rang through the space and I could almost feel it buzz through the concrete floor. This time, even Dhalia's warm kindness couldn't stop the goosebumps from rising on my skin. She  turned the knob and pulled the heavy door open and a sense of familiarity hit me. This was the same dungeon space that I was kept in when I was taken from school. I felt a dreadful sensation creep around me like a second skin. I didn't want to be here, and I didn't want to face the people who were trying to hunt me down. I'd much rather be nestled in the kitchen, stress eating a giant bowl of mac-n-cheese. 

     With the impending dread weighing down on me like bricks, we ventured further into the dimly lit room. The first thing that came into view was a slumped over body, sitting in a steel chair in the center of the room. The form had its hands tied behind its back, and its upper body and legs were bound to the chair with rope. As we took small steps toward the body, I started to hear labored breaths wheezing out of him. I gasped as another figure appeared from the shadowed corner. Kastiel, with eyes pitch black and a face of pure rage, crossed the distance and grabbed the man by his hair, yanking his face up to look him in the eye. The man that peered up at Kastiel was covered in deep dark bruises and so much blood it made me almost feel sorry for him. His clothes were torn in some places, showcasing even more blood coming from his body and his right eye was so swollen it looked to be just barely open. 

     "You make a single move at either of them, and I'll rip your head from you shoulders." the voice that rumbled out of Kastiel's mouth was so cold and venomous that it was unsettling. His dark eyes bored into him, his statement sealing a deadly promise.