Chapter 38 - Link

RACHELLE

"Okay, so what do you want to know?" the detective asked as we sat in her office. 

"Everything please, if that's possible," I replied.

"The thing is, the case has been cold for months now, we decided not to inform you of the matter since we cannot give a concrete conclusion to it yet. I believe, Officer Newbury already told you it was no accident. I'll be honest with you Rachelle," she sighed. "you were a primary suspect in the beginning, but don't take offense into it."

"What? Me? Why me? I cannot do anything like that." I shrieked almost standing up to her face.

The detective raised her hands in defeat and gestured if she could further explain herself. "I know. Being the lone survivor always puts you in that situation, but we were able to get more info and turns out you were ruled out. Plus, with all the hatred towards the clergy these days, anyone could be a suspect. For all we know, the church and the clergy were the targets of the attack." 

"So what else did you find out?" Gage questioned.

 "Well apparently after the explosion, we have a vehicle speeding away from the crime scene. We found the car. The only thing there is a remote control, but no prints, the car was clean. It was possible the suspect used an IED, opened the gas pipes and triggered the explosion not far from the church. At first, it would seem like a gas leak but there were shreds of evidence of some mortar and chemicals that when mixed with gas can create a wider explosion. "

"Do you mean that guy caused it? That's murder. No, it's a massacre." My heart started to race, the information she is giving breaks my heart into million pieces. I turned to Gage, to see him with the same expression as I have.

"The car was registered to a dead guy, it seems like it was stolen. No one actually identified the man driving it. He was rushing out of town and had a road accident right outside Newport. He fled the scene too and left one person from the other vehicle to die."

My breath started to hike that detail is so familiar. "Who was in the other vehicle detective?" I queried. My gaze on the floor started to cloud and I can hear my own heartbeat pounding in my head. I grabbed Gage's hand in mine in a tight clasp, waiting for the detective's response.

"Well you see Rachelle, I do find it bizarre to have you both here right now. Seeming the events are quite connected." The detective's voice echoes faintly in my head. My vision started to spin and I can't breathe, she is confirming what I am coming to know.

"Gage, you know what this is right?" He's looking as baffled as I am.

"Rachelle, the car that was run over by our suspect is the car Mr. Williams was driving with Miss Emily Cole that day." 

Those words hit me like a train at full speed. Not only was my fiance, family, and friends murdered by one soulless evil, he even added one more innocent person on his death list.   

My vision started to dim. Why did he let me live? He was too keen on killing everyone in the church, why did he press the button too early? Why didn't he just let me walk through so I too died in there? Why did he let me suffer? Why?

-------------- 

"I don't know what to say, detective," I can hear Gage's voice whispering. "I guess for one whole year we thought those incidents were an accident until today. And to think the death of Emily and Rachelle's whole family was caused by the same person is mind-wrecking." 

"You both walked in the lobby and I thought what a coincidence. You see, I have reread the files and nothing was disclosed to her, to you and to Emily's family. Everything was tagged as an accident as we are still investigating." that's the detective's voice.