Memoir of a harlot: pt 1

Vanitas's p.o.v.

John pulls into the address that Khalil presumably texted us this morning. It was a small appartment complex not too far from where Gomorrah was located. John grabs his phone to text that we were here. We park the car and get out, leaning against the car while we waited.

After a few minutes Khalil and a tag along walk out of the apartment complex. John waves, to get their attention and they make their way over to us.

"This is my brother." Khalil introduces.

"Nice to meet you." John says, extending his hand.

He claps his hand onto John's and gives him an enthusiastic handshake. "Wassup, I'm Emmanuelle but y'all can just call me Man."

"You...must not be from around here?" John questions.

"It's the urban and eccentric attitude, right?" Man questions. "An accurate assumption so I'll respect that. We're from Broken Bow Oklahoma."

"Mmm." John says affirmatively. "This is my boyfriend Vanitas." John gestures to me.

"Hi." I say.

"A pleasure." Man nods.

"So what exactly are we doing here?" John asks.

"This is where you'll be staying." Khalil informs.

"Seriously?" John and I ask in disbelief.

"Yeah." Khalil shakes his head in confusion. "I told you I'd find you a place."

"I thought you meant like...in a few days." John states.

Khalil laughs. "Let's go see your apartment."

Khalil and Man walk off, heading back into the complex. John and I exchange quizzical glances before catching up. We head upstairs and out onto a shared balcony. Eventually we end up at a door with the number '430' on it.

"This is it." Khalil says, pulling out a key.

He unlocks the door for us and pushes it open, gesturing for us to step in. Inside is a small but easy liveable single bedroom apartment. The living room was at least large enough to hold all four of us with personal space, a kitchen that could fit at least two asses and thank god a bathroom.

"We hooked you up with a couch and bed as well as paid the deposit and first months rent."

"Holy- fuck. Thank you." John says genuinely.

"Hold up." Khalil starts. "This ain't all free. The name on the lease is my brother's so the rent money goes to him. And you guys can pay me back by being ready to wow an audience when an investor comes to Gomorrah in a few days."

"Alright, how much is the rent?"

"Seven hundred a month." Man interjects.

"Well shit." John comments. "Not that I expected a family discount."

"Cheap apartments are still expensive." Man comments. "Now onto the extra little gift my brother here convinced me to give to you."

"What's that?" John asks.

We're both caught off guard by the sudden flash of a camera.

"Did...did you just take a picture of me?" John questions.

"Yeah. You see I'm in the business of cleaning up or enhancing one's identity."

"What?"

"He makes fake I.Ds...among other things." Khalil informs.

"Pfft. These other dudes out here making fake I.Ds." Man scoffs. "What I make is a background check short of being legit."

Man takes an unexpected picture of me as well, earning questioning glance.