Sins of the brother

Vanitas's p.o.v.

I stare out over the railing of the outer dining area at the large lake in the distance and sigh.

"Hey. Are you still here with me?" Roman asks.

"Yeah." I say, returning my attention to my date.

Roman was nice enough to take me out to a pretty decent restaurant to eat. It wasn't exactly a fancy five star restaurant but a nice place nonetheless.

"I'm really glad you decided to come out with me tonight." Roman assures.

"Why..." I look down at the table. "Why did you want to go on a date with me anyway?" I ask.

"I don't know..." Roman ponders. "I guess I just wanted you to know what it was like to be taken on one. It's messed up that you've never experienced it."

"Isn't it kind of messed up for us to even be on a date?" I ask rhetorically.

"Because were both guys or?..." Roman questions.

"You bully my little brother." I state.

"Most would say your little brother is the bully." Roman retorts. "No, wait." "Let's not bring those things up right now."

The waiter shows up with the food we ordered earlier and places the plants in front of us.

"Thank you." Roman and I say in union.

"Jinx, you owe me a soda." Roman chuckles.

I just shrug.

"So what's your home life like?" Roman asks.

"Excuse me?" I question, feeling a bit pried into.

"Can you tell me what you do after school at home?"

"I do my homework and have bible study with my family...or we go protest."

Roman's gaze trails off awkwardly. "Maybe we should just eat." Roman suggests.

We just silently eat what was placed in front of us in an attempt to de escalate the tension. The sound of forks scraping against porcelain fills the air...and then the sound of choking.

My gaze snaps up and I see Roman coughing into his enclosed hand.

"Are you alright? Do you need help?" I ask, ready to hop out of my chair.

"No. I'm fine." Roman strains. "Just went down the wrong pipe." He clears his throat and takes a breath. "I'm not usually this awkward on dates."

"How many have you been on?" I ask.

"Come again?"

"How many dates have you been on?" I ask again.

"I've never really counted." Roman says. "I've been on a lot of dates before. Just trying to find the one ya'know?"

"Hmm. My family doesn't permit a trial and error system like that. They believe you only start dating when you find 'the one'."

"How would you know if that person is the one though?" Roman asks.

"Ask my parents I guess..." I suggest.

Roman just stares at me in confusion. "It must be difficult to live like that."

I take a deep breath and exhale. "This was nice for my first date but I think I'm done." I stand up, ready to take my leave.

"Woah, what's wrong?" Roman asks in confusion.

"look." I start. "I've never been on a date before and I don't really know how they're supposed to go but I'm pretty sure it doesn't consist of people victimizing me or turning their nose up at my family's beliefs."