Covenant

Vanitas's p.o.v.

John and I stroll through the park, the bitter chill of the approaching winter slipping under our coats in the wind. I look at John who's bare chested under his hoodie on account of him literally tearing his shirt off during our little reunion.

"Are you not too cold?" I ask him.

"Nah." John assures. "Feels good. Florida doesn't really have winter. It just stays hot and humid practically year round."

We end up on a little bridge arching over a small stream. We had decided to go somewhere private to talk and Pedro was more than happy to have the house to himself for a bit. Relieved actually. Probably because we accidentally traumatized him when we went full tilt into caveman fucking while he was on the mic in CoD. I'd give him a proper apology as soon as I got back.

I look over the bridge's rails into the running water below. The dark water gleamed with the reflection of moonlight. I'd learned to enjoy these pretty little sights over time. This area had so few things to find joy in. The feeling of John's gaze draws my attention back to him. He was leaning against the rails, smiling my way.

"What?" I question.

"You're so beautiful." He responds, casually.

My cheeks flush instantly. "Stop it. I look like an emo orphan."

John chortles. "Batman and all the Robins made it look sexy, too." He quips.

I shove him playfully. "Oh my God, shut up." I laugh, John chuckling along with me.

John's expression shifts to one of earnest. "You've changed so much but you're somehow the exact same."

"I'm not the only one." I gesture to him. "You look like you've been hitting the gym."

"When I can." John replies.

"You also have way more body hair than I remember." I follow up.

John glances down at his hair covered torso. "Oh, yeah. I haven't shaved it in a while." He explains, sheepishly.

"Don't." I say. "I'm kinda...really into it." I brush my fingers across the hair on his abdomen as awe flickers across my eyes, there was something magical about the way it felt.

"If you say so." John smirks.

"Your hair also got longer." I say. "It looks good on you."

"So does yours." John replies.

"I hate it actually. I plan on cutting it first chance I get." I say.

"I'll enjoy it while it lasts, then." John assures.

"You'd better." I smirk. There's a brief quiet between us, allowing the mood to shift to something a little more serious. "How did you find me?" I ask.

John looks out over the bridge and into the distance. "It wasn't easy. I went to Gomorrah first but you weren't there anymore. Khalil told me you moved down here to independence."

The mention of Khalil makes me wonder how he and the gang have been doing. I missed them.

"At first I couldn't find you so I called Roman to see if he knew. He was mad at me but didn't have any info. Then Tony called and told me to check a club called The Castle. Said you might be working there. To my surprise, somebody there confirmed that and gave me your address."

I raise my brow. "They just gave away my address?"

"Sort of. Yeah." John confirms.

"Not that I'm not glad they did but that was so irresponsible and illegal." I say. "Who the hell would do that?"