Neon Genesis

Vanitas's p.o.v.

I scrape the last bit of spaghettios out of my can and into my mouth, half satisfying my hunger for now. John was currently inside of another random clothing store for another interview and I had an interview at some grocery tomorrow. Our luck wasn't that great so far, though. People understandably weren't too keen on hiring christian kids that had basically no work experience

At the same time, it was pretty apparent that our families had caught on to what happened between us because they cancelled John's phone plan a few days ago and John had to spend a decent portion of money to turn it back on. I wonder what they all thought of us right now. Zel, my mom and my dad...they probably hated me. Eve and lilith probably pitied me. And Wiccan...I just hoped she could forgive me for making her wait even longer.

The car door opens, pulling me from my thoughts. John sits in the driver's seat, closes the door and gives an exasperated sigh.

"Don't think you got this one?" I question.

"No. I got nervous with each question and gave mostly stupid answers." John rests his head on the driver's side window. "This isn't working."

"We'll figure something out." I assure. "We've always been a great team."

"I know." John smirks. "But I think we're being too picky."

"What do you mean?" I question.

"We keep looking for jobs that are easy or...morally upright." John explains. "Maybe we should let go of our pride a little."

"Yeah." I say. "I guess you have a point." "My pride isn't worth much anymore so I have no problem parting with it for both our sakes"

John looks over at me with a smile. "You're too good for me."

I snicker slightly. "That's kinda sad."

"Fuck you." He says with mock offense before stealing a quick kiss.

I fail to keep myself from blushing and try to discreetly play it off. "So what's the plan?" I ask.

John starts the car and takes a firm grip of the wheel. "We should pay a visit to the red light district."

"Alright." I say. "I'm with you no matter what."

John takes a deep breath and pulls out of the parking lot. I just look out the window and watch the world go by. Part of me was excited to experience it with freedom for the first time but another part of me was terrified. Where did I even fit in this mess we called life? Would the world accept me as I am now...despite who I've been?

John suddenly takes my hand and gives it a loving squeeze. I look over at him once more with a quizzical expression.

"You're making that face you make when you think about sad things." John says without taking his eyes off the road.

"Sorry." I apologize. "I just have a lot to think about."

"I know. I'm right here if you need to get something off your chest." John assures.

I shake my head. "I'll be fine for now."

"Alright." John gives my hand one last squeeze before putting both hands back on the wheel.