Enigma

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

K e n

One-hundred-forty-four hours have passed and I'm cuffed in this stupid hospital bed. This is the worst, the longest, six days of my life. There are no books to read to pass the long hours, and no intern De Leon that makes me feel that time does stop. I just kept myself busy watching the fluid dripping on my IV. I lost count, thinking about McBaby. "Oh, oh, nice." Tawagin ko siya no'n pagbalik ko ng kulungan. Oh, cool. At least, may bago akong kaharutang dala 'pag nagkita kami ulit.

A nurse walked by. The door was opened; she must've heard me humming Matchbox Twenty's Push. It was two in the morning, according to the wall clock. I think the officer watching over me had fallen asleep; his loud snore caused me to laugh.

"Okay ka lang, miss Montefalco?"

"Actually, no. I'm stuck in this stupid bed for days with nothing to do." It would be really nice to just be here, even it's messed up, if my wife is not waiting for me at the den. They have a lot of narcotics here. "Do you know something that will amuse me?" I need to divert my attention. "I can't sleep."

"Are you in pain?"

"Yeah, my heart hurts." The good-looking nurse stepped inside the room. Akala siguro niya literal na naninikip ang dibdib ko. "Miss na miss ko na yung baby ko. Can you just sedate me with something that can put me to sleep? Like Barbs or something."

"One moment, I'm checking your-"

"Nurse, she's been running to my mind all day, she needs some rest, too. Kawawa, hikain pa naman." The girl smiled and my gaydar beeped like crazy. Jasmine, the nurse who's on the graveyard shift, checked on my faded bruises. "I only met her recently, but I feel like I've known her for years. Alam mo 'yon?"

"Ay, wow. Ang cute."

"Kwento ko? Trigger warning: nakakakilig."

"Go ako dyan, beks."

"So, ganito' yon, she's an intern and I'm a detainee." Nurse Jasmine was shocked. She, then, realized that I am a rare kind of patient in the hospital she works at. "Yep. Si Reese, she's probably crying. The girl cries a lot." I remember her holding back her tears when Teegan had this fake anger at her. If Justine didn't tell her to knock it off, she would have burst into tears. Reese laughs, then cries, and then laughs again while crying. The girl is like a complex puzzle, a beautiful kind of mystery. She was an enigma to me.

"Ano'ng pangalan ni baby girl?" I gave Reese's full name. Jasmine took out her phone, smirking. "What the actual fuck? Your girl's hot." I can see her thumb scrolling down. "Damn, you are one lucky bastard." The nice nurse, unlike the boring ones with the day shift, locked the door and closed all of the curtains. "My God! Here, look."

"Jesus! This girl is gonna be the death of me

"Jesus! This girl is gonna be the death of me." The photo she showed me was taken three months ago. That messy hair is mindfuck. I prefer this to the straight one that she has right now. But either way, she was a goddess. If God was a woman, this is definitely her. There is no doubt 'bout that.