Paperback

Writer's note:
Trigger warning for violence.

CHAPTER ELEVEN

K e n

The sun was out. I don't know what time is it, but since my good friend is here, I figured it was already seven o'clock. Dinner time. Jamie slipped a John Green book, "Looking for Alaska," when she pushed the tray inside the small, metal opening. "What's this? Ibig sabihin ba nito, matatapos ko 'tong basahin bago pa'ko makalabas ulit? Is that it?"

"Grabe naman 'yan."

"Howl, out." Ihing-ihi na kasi siya kung kaya naman hinayaan ko muna siyang lumabas. Buti nga at nandito yung alaga ko. I guess, takot pa rin si Tristan na mamatay ako on his watch. May pa-consuelo de bobo, eh.

"Well, I hope not. Ano 'yan, ah, something to help you pass the time." I didn't ask for it, and I don't think I'll be able to read it tonight because of the flickering light. Though, I appreciate Jamie saving me from boredom. Butler didn't even have the decency to replace the bulb when he's aware that it's gonna break any time soon. I even hear it fuzzing overnight. "So, how are you holding up in here? Okay pa ba tayo, 'kosa?"

"Wow, guma-gangster ka, ha?"

"Bagay ba?"

"You're too adorable to be a gangster. Me, on the other hand, with these tattoos and the hair, is a different story." The guards always lock the main door whenever they leave me here. I will practically suffocate if there isn't a squared, twelve-inched opening, with bars in it. "I'm good. At least, the moon is with me." De Leon reminds me of the moon. The thought of her keeps my sanity. "Shows up every night. I'm good."

"Like how you stare at her by the window especially when the lights are out," Jamie says to me. "You really like her, don't you? And I believe it's not a simple crush anymore. You hate this place, and yet you risked being sent here... for her."

"Let's all blame the eyes, then." Both of us laughed. "It's funny 'cause I'd only stop watching her, once her green, solar lamp shuts down. She watches me in broad daylight; nighttime is my time to look out for her." I examined the book in my hand. It looks new. "Do we have new books in the library? Sino'ng nag-finance? Project nung mga intern?" My friend just laughed. I didn't get why, though. "And thank you for the food."

"The food, yes, but the book, you should thank the one who gave it to you." There was a two-letter initial on the last page of the book. "It's Reese's. She's currently reading it right now, but Teegan says Reese needs to study Legal Medicine. The girls figured you need it, especially Reese." That explains the RR '22 written in red ink. "And she has a note for you, Ken. I can't leave you a pen. You can just tell her your response tomorrow."

"Note? Lakas, maka-highschool ng baby ko." Howl stepped in and quickly jumped onto the bed. "Oh, you're done?" Inihain na ni Jamie ang dogfood nito kung kaya naman siya nagpa-pet muna sa kaibigan ko. "Okay, you can eat your food now."

"Sige, alis na rin ako."

"Mhmm."

"Pakisabi kay Reese bukas ko na siya sagutin, kasi gabi na. Baka dumating ang magulang at mag-polo pa ang daddy niya, inform mo'ko, ha? Magpapaganda ako." I held the book close to my heart with a smile. "Thank the girls for me."

"I will."

I opened it up, smelling the paperback. It was soothing, but nothing makes me feel better than my baby girl. She can be irritable most of the time, and the girl changes her mood in an instant, but I like the way she rolls her eye and pouts. 'Yun bang kung umirap, nakita na niya yung brain cells niya. Wagas na wagas. It's too cute. "Night, Jamie."