Spectator

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

R e e s e

"Who are you?" I was gonna say I didn't hear anything but that would be really stupid. It doesn't even answer this man with a gun's question. If I was just a normal person passing by, I wouldn't be sweating like this. "Hoy, kayo, may tao rito. Hindi niyo nakita?" Nagtaka naman ang dalawang ungas na nag-yosi break lang. "You're supposed to be the lookouts, mga gago."

"Pasensya na ho, boss."

"Boss, 'di siguro namin napansin."

"Ikaw? Bakit ka narito?" I was able to keep my cool even if I'm scared shitless. I didn't scream, never did try to escape nor did the Disarming Technique that I learned from school during my second year Physical Education class. Calm down, Robin. You're a kid. They look like they won't gun down a kid, would they?

"Ano po kase..."

Nakapamewang ito at sinadya nitong ipakita ang baril na kani-kanina lamang ay nakatutok sa akin. "Sino ka at bakit ka narito?" Binasa nito ang nakasulat sa aking damit. "Estudyante ka ng Kindred or yung Scarlet Rose ba 'yon?"

"Kindred po, kuya. Rival school po namin yung Scarlet Rose U."

"Eh, bakit ka nga narito? At sino-"

My mind had come up with a lot of excuses, but my stupid mouth had decided to tell the truth. So, I say, "I'm Mackenzie's friend."

"Kaibigan daw ni Mackenzie?"

"'Di ba sabi mo nakakatakot yung taong 'yun?"

"Manahimik nga kayong dalawa. Lalong natatakot 'tong bata, eh." The two guys who didn't give a shit about me at first are now looking at me like I'm some kind of a threat. "Bantayan niyo saglit." They made me sit on the concrete, while they had chosen to lean on the shiny Maybach's back compartment.

"Sige, boss."

"Dito lang kami, boss."

Pagbalik nung lalake, tinanong niya ako ng, "Did you say Mackenzie's your friend?" Internally, I had an argument with myself. It's clear as day that Mackenzie and I aren't just friends. 'Yun nga lang, hindi ko naman pwedeng basta-basta na lang sabihin ang bagay na ito kung kani-kanino. "You know what happens to liars, right? Mukha ka namang napalaki ng maayos."

"Yes. Two yes's for all of your questions."

Natawa siya sa sagot ko. "Are you now?" The big buffed dude smirked and half-yelled, "Boss, this kid says she's Mackenzie's friend." Paulit-ulit na lang. I don't know what the big deal was. Maybe because ito siguro yung mga kasamahan niya. She did mention that her boss is gonna be one of today's spectators. This means I have to be nice to them. Maybe put a little faith in these people that I'd get out of here unscathed, even a little. "Sigurado daw siya, ma'am."

"Oh, really?"

Hindi nagtagal, lumabas ang isang babae mula sa itim na Mercedes Benz, wearing a normal corporate type of outfit but with the O-Ren Ishii from Kill Bill kind of vibe. "There she is." She's walking over to me like she's one of those gangster movies that are friendly in the beginning but can also kill you in your sleep. This time, I may not be just overthinking every fucking thing.

"Hello, Mackenzie's friend." This is the part whether I choose to die or do them a favor or something. "Hi, my name is Olivia. You are?"

I didn't answer until she outstretched her right and helped me up. "Here," I showed her my ID. I struggled trying to cover my last name but Olivia titled her head, trying to take a peek. With it, this Gideon guy, snatched the ID from me. "I don't have anything to hide. Take a look."