10

The redhead whom they had all thought was at the raging party at Greta's, probably dancing with ben, was actually here. In a diner dressed in casual jeans and a white tee that said Roses and Guns are what girls are about. Beverly stared open-mouthed at the sight of Richie and Eddie. Her cheeks tinted a brilliant red.

"Bev? Why are you here?" Richie asked again. His voice softer this time, with concern and worry laced heavily in his tone. From behind him, Eddie couldn't help but frown at the sound. Why did Marsh matter so much to him? Were they dating?

"Richie. Shit, you weren't supposed to see me!" Beverlys face was as red as her hair and her eyes were darker than the storms. Eddie wanted to reach out a hand to comfort her, but held himself back. Self control, Eddie. You don't even know who she is!

"So does that mean that Ben doesn't know? Because last i checked, he said that you were getting punch." Richie winced at the glare Beverly threw at him. "No. He doesn't. I'm working because i need the money. You know how hard it's been, Richie and i...i just.." Richies eyes softened and he patted her shoulder. "I know, Bev. I know."

Beverly quickly wiped the tears from her eyes. Eddie, being Eddie, plucked a tissue from inside his fanny pack and handed it to Beverly. She smiled at him graciously and took it, thanking him. "Hey, you're Eddie, right?"

"Yeah."

"I'm Beverly. Beverly Marsh." Beverly held out a hand to shake, accompanied with her brilliant smile.

"I kinda know that." Beverly blushed. "Oh." Eddie shook her hand anyway. "I'm Eddie." It was Beverlys turn to smirk, "I know."

"So..."

"Bev, are you sure you don't need help? i could, you know, help out." Richie offered (read: cut in) suddenly. His eyes boring into Beverlys. "No. Richie, i'm a independent woman who is capable of handling herself." Beverly refused.

"No,Bev. You're sixteen. You're no independent woman with some huge capability of handling responsibilities. Don't bullshit yourself." Richie deadpanned. "Gosh, you're becoming a real feminist, Bev. Not that i don't like your passion. Maybe tuck it away for ol Benny when he's in a mood to take a roll in bed."

"Beep Beep, Richard. Now, let's get you and Eddie a table, yeah?" Beverly changed the subject easily, leading the two over to a small table hidden away from the rest of the diner.

Maybe even from the rest of the world. From their judging eyes and disgust, should they know of anything blossoming between two boys. Something more than friendship or brotherhood.

And with that, the conversation ended. Leaving Eddie confused at how the night twisted into some caught-in-the-act reality. But leaving him happy too. He liked Beverly.

And maybe one day, he would finally have friends other than Richie. Maybe one day, he would be wanted by someone other than his mother.

Maybe he wouldn't feel so alone.