Although Sheline leaves him with no suspicion whenever they chat on the phone, he hopes Margaret won't soon turn his wife against him. He received no word of appreciation for the last gift he sent to her children. A token it might be, it does carry messages of solidarity which Margaret so flagrantly disregards. The Soweto woman's snub is becoming worrisome.

Moyo reassesses Sheline from the head downwards watching for any physical changes. She's not bulkier or slimmer, her overall physique remains the same. If not for facial acne, nothing points to a difficult stay in Soweto. She must be having it nice thus far.

Sitting on the bed, he recalls his wedding night with this woman he has come to adore. His affection for her remains strong and that induces romantic thoughts, tempting him to wake her up. He quenches the dictates of the loins. Why the rush?

He has waited four weeks, why should a few more hours look too long. It's going to be three long days of togetherness. Going to work won't be an excuse because he's taken three days off. Not until Tuesday morning will he release her.

Recalling his recent skills upgrade, Moyo digs into the wardrobe to bring out flowers, candles and wines. He places lit candles on the bed's headrest, sprinkles sweet-smelling rose petals on the pillows and bedsheet. Then comes wine-pouring which he does in three glass cups, placing them on a nearby stool where her hands can easily reach.

Moyo dims the light and then leaves the room.

Sheline wakes up to the sweet smell of wilting rose. She looks around but the source of the fragrance isn't clear – the room is now of red hue. When her senses adjust, she looks dazzled. "This man wasn't like this before I left for school," she whispers, lifting off the bed to better appreciate the surroundings. The smile on her face can move a wall clock which displays 8:23 pm anyway.

Sheline goes for a shower.

Now watching TV in the sitting room, Moyo adjusts his lavender towel on hearing the splatter of water. It's been a tough staying awake, waiting for her to get up.

The curvy beauty walks nude into the sitting room, places a leg on his chair's armrest. The Nollywood drama flick on TV loses relevance as he takes a peek at her, sniffing the hypnotic fragrance she brings into the sitting room. This lady must be learning new things at the university.

Moyo's legs move mechanically but with the speed of a hungry lion hunting a reindeer. He escorts her to the room and for six hours the bed on which they wrestle squeaks in salutation.

Sunday morning, around midday, husband and wife shake of the long night as they set out on a visit to Morningside.

"After you." Sheline points to the bathroom.

"No, you first, since you stay there longer."

Despite the bone-wrecking acrobatics, he still can't have enough view of her backside.

While Sheline dresses up, he takes notice of her new jewellery, the quality of which he has yet to see. Maybe her aunt presented these things. He waves them off as ladies stuff.

And then a text buzzes on her phone, alerting him to the changed ringtone – a new Samsung device. Sheline digs into her handbag to reveal a glittering Galaxy Phone, the exact brand he walked away from months back on account of the unfriendly price tag.

Moyo's eyes shimmer at the sleek device. This can't be a gift from an aunt. The woman isn't so wealthy from all he knows about her.

As if confirming her higher status, Sheline brings out a gold-plated purse, and then a sparkling watch and then a cool bracelet and then a puzzled look on his face.

"Did your aunt buy all these things?"

"No." She smiles. "Present from a church member."

A whirring buzz permeates every corner of Moyo's brain, vibrating his skull. Sheline didn't mention receiving gifts from anyone. And she didn't celebrate her birthday recently. Even so, a female church member won't bestow these kinds of gifts. Does she now mingle with male church members? "Oh, you now have admirers in church?"

Sheline's eyes shift from east to west. "Not so. This person lives in the same area as Aunty Maggie...he's like a family friend to her." Her heart skips a beat while she explains with an effort.

"Okay...okay." He nods slowly, masking the rising wave of angst with a lopsided grin.

This person whose gifts his wife finds alluring isn't just a church member; he lives close to them and has limitless access to Margaret's house, being a family friend. A male family friend giving out such expensive things will at some point demand favours in return, which might be a romantic dalliance with Sheline. And, of course, she'll find it hard to turn him away, having enjoyed his bounties. That's if they haven't started dating already.

Moyo deflates slowly as insecurity overwhelm him. Aren't Tashinga's words coming to pass? Didn't people warn that newlyweds aren't supposed to live apart? Some faceless entities will share a bed with his wife if they aren't already doing so. He develops cold feet as bells bang in his head. The worst has happened.