Chapter 9

Ma Malvin's mind-boggling vituperation doesn't sit well with Tauya. He hangs around the building ruminating over his mom's slight. Moyo's impending visit with a faceless girl is the reason the old woman condemns his past, for all the love he'd shown her, all the efforts to make her happy. Clearly, Mama has a favourite son in Moyo and that shouldn't be.

He himself is a parent and he doesn't show this kind of favouritism. Creeping into Tauya's mind is the incidence when he favours his last born over the older ones – how he instructs his first son to reserve food for the two-year-old.

Reality dawns on him that he's guilty of the same attitude for which he beefs his mom. Clearly, parenting isn't easy – one has no control over which kids to love the most. If Mama favours Moyo better, that's her personal choice. Pa Malvin still holds him dear and that's what counts.

Mama also alluded to it when she mentioned that he should rather be a respected in-law to the coming lady. That's a lofty role he has but he's foolishly griping over nothing.

Hmm! An in-law? That's indeed a lofty position. Yes. Should their ageing father seize to be today, he, Tauya, will be the head-of-family – the defacto father-in-law. Mama was right. He needs to burnish his acts and be a responsible brother-in-law. Moyo's woman shouldn't have a bad impression of him when she visits. This isn't the time to begrudge his younger brother. Youthful exuberance should stay buried in the past.

Reeling in his newfound role as an in-law, Tauya rids himself of any rancour. His father returns later in the evening to receive the heart-warming news that his second son is planning to pick a wife. Pa Malvin has hardly taken a seat when Tauya approaches him: "Moyo has found someone to marry at last; a nice Shona girl."

Ordinarily, Moyo wishes to start a family should gladden the old man. Tauya being the bearer amplifies the joy.

"Really!" Pa Malvin exclaims, readjusting on the chair. He then reclines on the backrest darting Tauya a curious look, seemingly impressed that the latter doesn't make an issue of it. "Did he say so on the phone or he visited?"

"He came here to tell us and we're happy for him. He'll bring her next week for a proper introduction."

Ma Malvin enters the sitting room to confirm the message, overlooking her earlier cautioning words to Tauya. The glee on everyone's face infects the patriarch, swelling his heartfelt joy several notches high. Knowing how focused Moyo can be whenever he sets his mind on something, Pa Malvin has no doubt the lad is finally ready to settle down. He looks forward to the weekend to meet the girl.