Chapter 11

"I'm trying to be a responsible man," Moyo tells his boss at Emerald Station. "I'm planning a wedding."

"Oh, sure. That's good. If you want eight-weeks, you can have it."

"Four will be fine, sir."

"Ok, then."

Yippy Moyo signs off from work, eager to tie up loose ends as he rallies around.

Three weeks after he took Sheline to his parents, he brings his family members to meet hers, setting off family-to-family correspondence, necessitating besotted Moyo to pay the bride price which chimes the first wedding bell.

A debate ensues on whether to make it a conservative wedding ceremony or a talk-of-town bash, but a courthouse backing isn't in doubt.

"My daughter is getting married," Audrey announces to her friends, neighbours and church members.

"Ha, we must throw a big party in Morningside." A church member says. "Your only child is getting married." She dances around at the news. Audrey, who always makes herself available for church activities, must get everyone's support now that she'll be in the spotlight. They must repay her kindness over the years.

Contrary to well-wishers' take, Audrey prefers a low-key ceremony on her daughter's big day. She won't host an unmanageable party which will threaten her failing health.

"Do you want a big wedding?" Audrey asks her daughter who heaves a worry-sigh.

Her life seem to be spinning too fast. Where her peers got offered courses other than the ones they sought at their chosen universities, she's allowed to study her dream Journalism in South Africa where she'll broaden her horizon. That aside, the loving man she'll be wedding supports her educational pursuits. And his family members accept her whole-heartedly. The positivity surrounding her life of late, and the flurry of public attention coming her way, has been nothing short of overwhelming.

"I'll prefer a court sitting only, Mama." She rubs Audrey's shoulder. "We can have a big ceremony later."

Audrey accedes to the proposition. This girl has taken after her humble stance.

Big or small, well-wishers will attend the ceremony en masse. News flies around Morningside that Sheline will soon wed. Those years of solidarity Audrey put into other peoples' affairs won't go to waste. They look forward to the wedding.

The groundswell of goodwill messages and the series of inquiries bursting her phone make it clear Audrey needs to accommodate the interest of Morningside people who want to grace the occasion. In the end, a religious gathering must hold. And a reception party.

Three days to the event, three of Sheline's friends arrive at her house to help with preparations. While fixing her hair on the terrace outside, the ladies get talking.

"If someone had told me you'll be getting married this soon, I'll argue for two hours." Pauletta pokes fun at Sheline, still shocked. "Back in school, you made so much noise about going to the university. When did you change your mind?"

"My degree plan is still on. It's just that I won't be single while studying."

"Well, it will make you focus on your studies." Mary assesses Sheline's lavender headband.

"You've never really liked men, anyway." Pauletta chips in. "Those of us who run after them don't find the right one quick enough."

Laughter fills the air.

Mary starts combing Sheline's hair. "I envy you, babe. You already know where your future lies. We'll be like you one day."

"A wedding day is a day of joy, of happiness. The challenge is how to stay married. I hope you'll learn to keep your man." Anna, the darkest of them, lends her voice. She likes to talk like a marriage counsellor, whereas, at twenty-one, her only spousal experience is six painful serial heartbreaks.

"Marriage! Someone will just leave her parents' house and start living with a man. It can be scary sometimes," Pauletta says.

Sheline sees the need to encourage her pals. After countless months of tutelage by Audrey and family friends, the subject is familiar. "With love and understanding, all will go well, I pray. He's such a caring person – that's what I like about him. And my mother-in-law is a peace-loving woman. In short, she's original."

"You make it sound easy," Pauletta says.

"I won't give myself unnecessary pressure. It's my turn now, but it will soon be yours."

Mary slaps her palms together and starts rubbing them. "As for me, I'm not in a hurry to leave my parents' house. Marriage can come after degree, no two way about that."

Sheline turns towards her. "We all can't have it in the same order. Degree first or marriage first, in five years or so, we'll all have both."

Anna yawns. "We may all have been in school at the same time, our lives won't move in the same direction. Sheline is lucky, I must say. Admission letter on one hand, marriage certificate on the other."

"Your time will come, Anna. And we'll celebrate it to the fullest."

Pauletta takes her hands off Sheline's hair, coming around to face her. "I hear wedding night can be fun, uh. Are you ready for it?"

Sheline mutes up, eyeing her friend playfully.

Anna giggles. "Say something, Sheline. Isn't that part of the wedding programme? I'm sure your mum and other women must have discussed it with you."

Sheline's eyes flap teasingly. "What do you want me to say? I've not been married before. Mama only told me that I mustn't make it a bad experience for him."

Mary pokes fun. "What if —"

"Don't come with questions I can't answer." Sheline stretches out her hands, cutting her short.

The four ladies burst into laughter, teasing one another.

Later at night, the ladies hold a prayer vigil – the first of many. Anna, who's been fasting, exerts much energy casting out demons and enemies away from the house. She summons the Holy Ghost is such a manner one will think she knows His address.

The nightly three-hour prayer remains rigorous up to the night before the wedding day when older church members join them to pray for a hassle-free event.