Chapter 7

Sheline's matric result turns out well but no Zimbabwean university offers her a place to study Journalism. Instead, an admission letter arrives from the University of Johannesburg in Soweto, South Africa, granting her wish to enrol for a three-year Journalism programme.

"Mama, at last!" She rushes to her mom who grabs the letter to read.

"South Africa!" Audrey yells, half joyous, half worried. Mother and daughter exchange prolonged puzzled looks, as it dawns that the old woman has qualms with her only daughter going that far for studies.

"It's just around the corner," Sheline points a finger outside as if the school is a stone's throw. This opportunity mustn't slip. Zimbabwe or South Africa, a degree is all she craves. To douse any funny idea from her mom, Sheline dances around like a five-year-old handed a candy bar. "Johannesburg, here I come, le le..."

Her restiveness silences the old woman who feels the distance will be a problem not only for her but also for Moyo who's willing to pay her tuition fees thinking Sheline will study here in Zimbabwe. Studying outside Zimbabwe will be costlier.

"My admission letter has arrived. I'll be going to school." Sheline announces to Moyo over the phone.

"Congratulations! This is good news. I'm so, so happy for you."

"Thank you so much." Sheline blows three kisses which he gladly receives over the air, wishing they were real.

"I'll come there after work."

"You're welcome, dear. Bring something good, please. We should celebrate this in some way."

"Sure. For sure."

Rightly so, Moyo drives to Morningside later in the day, bringing along two chocolate bars and three wine bottles. On arrival Sheline welcomes him with hugs after opening the gate. "I've been offered admission. I'll be going to university."

"Good news, Sheline." Moyo is somewhat taken aback at her girlish outburst. It pleases to see her in this mood sometimes; if only to reassure him he can offer her some guidance.

Audrey, who's by the doorstep, has her brows rising, watching for the first time as her daughter hugs a man so passionately. They even walk into the house holding hands.

After greeting the old woman, Moyo places his gifts on the table, reeling in the euphoria of the moment. This university admission shows that things are turning out well for the lovebirds. "Congrats, Mama." He stares at Audrey. For once he has a reason to locks eyes with the woman.

"Thank you, my son. Sheline has been jumping all over the place all day."

"Yes, why not?" Sheline says, sitting cross-legged next to Moyo and then lifting off the chair to open up the Bacchus wine which she pours in glasses for mom and boyfriend. She then gulps some herself.

"I don't mind going to Johannesburg." Sheline bites into one of the chocolate bars. "The programme is only for three years and my auntie lives there."

"You're not studying in Zimbabwe here?" Worry lines appear on Moyo's face, as he readjusts on the chair, turning towards Sheline.

"No, it's the university in Soweto that sent me an admission letter." She slurs, enjoying every word of it, undermining Moyo's reaction.

"South Africa?" Moyo points upwards as if South Africa is in Mars.

"It's just around the corner." Sheline points to the lawn outside, smiling.

Moyo deflates, letting out a long wheeze. The glee he arrived with takes a backseat, but he's wary not to dampen her moods.