Chapter 1

The longing for a thrilling movie pushes Moyo out of the flat, but no movie can thrill the bachelor if he doesn't meet his future partner at the cinema. Stepping into his Toyota Yaris car this Thursday evening, he looks up the sky and declares that the gathering clouds won't prevent a jolly evening ride to the Bulawayo Mall.

"Luck may smile on us today." He cruises out of Rhodesville Estate and heads towards the highway to pick up his friend Richard.

After descending a ramp, an old woman flags him down. "Lift, please," Audrey says.

Moyo ignores her at first but then marches the brake on seeing her heavy luggage. Her long face suggests she's been waiting for long. This woman will be in trouble on this desolate road should the rain begin to pour. He reverses and slides down the side-window. "Where are you going ma'am?"

"Morningside." She points at the highway.

Moyo touches his barren chin, weighing his options whether to take her to the familiar area which isn't far off. Doing so, he'll earn a few bucks with which to fuel his car. It's not uncommon for private car owners to offer impromptu taxi services to shore up their income in economically troubled Zimbabwe. Besides, he'll be helping a senior Bulawayo citizen, as her lilac beret and knee-length gown hint at.

The lad eyes the small screen on the dashboard – 5:43 pm. There's enough time to drop her off before linking up with Richard. "Okay, I'll take you there." He alights from the car and begins to move her three bags into the boot, one after the other.

While he's at it, Audrey becomes uneasy. "Please, let's discuss the fare. Many of your colleagues have turned me down already. I don't want arguments when I get home."

"Don't worry, Mama. It's getting late. This part of town is dangerous around this time. When we get there, give me whatever you have." He drops the last bag and slams the boot shut.

Audrey raises her eyebrows at the young man and then moves close to the back door which Moyo comes around to open before returning to the driver's seat to kick-start the engine. Peering into the rear-view mirror to be sure she's comfortable, he finds her face creased up. Apparently, she's still surprised at the seriousness he accords a trip for which he's yet to negotiate a fare.

"May the good God bless you, my son."

"Amen."

"Thank you so much."

"It's alright ma'am."

After a brief quiet moment, Audrey gets talking as soon as the car veers into the highway. "You know I've been standing there for over two hours. Your people are either ignoring me or charging too much until God brought you my way. Maybe they think I'm rich."

Moyo repositions on the chair and peeps into the rear-view mirror. "Yes, fuel is a big problem in Bulawayo. People suffer a lot every day."

"They mustn't kill us all because of fuel issues. We have other things to spend money on." Her soft voice tails off as she looks out of the window, seemingly peeved at public officials. "We don't even know what the government is all about these days."

Moyo listens as the woman laments over the cost of living. Things must be tough for her, as it is for most city dwellers. But if someone living in upscale Morningside can complain so bitterly, what should the very poor ones in the hinterlands do?

That she's bashing taxicab operators isn't surprising though. Those guys now make it a habit to charge commuters unfairly, especially in the evenings when the masses rush back home from work.

"Are you always going this route?" She cuts into his thoughts.

"No ma'am, I'm not a taxi driver. I'm just helping."