Chapter 17

Bandele, a Soweto-based properties tycoon, emerges from his bedroom in pyjamas, phone clasped to his right ear. "What's this noise about tenders?" He says to his learned friend as he walks over to the home bar. Rumour has it that well-connected people in the locality are offered contracts worth millions of rands to execute government projects. Is there anyone better qualified for such? He's one of the top five wealthy people in Soweto, or so he believes. The only one among them who doesn't thrive on public funds.

"Oh, you want to join the tenderpreneurs?" Rhulani teases, surprised Bandele could think of joining the bandwagon.

"Why not? Just tell me what it is." Bandele sits on a stool, pouring some La Motte Hanelli wine into a tumbler.

"Well, its government work. You get a contract to supply commodities or render services to the municipality. They'll pay a big sum."

"Government work? How much will government people pay me that I can't spend already?"

"It can run into hundreds of millions if you're lucky."

"Millions? For doing nothing?" He sips wine.

"Of course you have to do some work. I just said you'll supply stuff. Some win tenders to construct blocks of flats or cottage houses. It depends on the project advertised and then the budget attached. But I must say: the contest for tenders can be tough."

"I should contest with poor people because of products and services?"

"The effort will be worth it. It may help you in future if you want to join politics. When people know you through community projects, they'll come out and vote for you."

"Oh, politics." Bandele rubs his distended tummy, laughing like a swamp toad croaking some thirty minutes before midnight. Even if politics doesn't rank high on his mind for now, that he's considered worthy to hold a public office does tickle. "You can be smart sometimes, eh? At least you know these small-eyana things about government work."

It's Rhulani's turn to crack up. Chatting on the phone with Bandele is always fun, despite the generous man being a blabbermouth.

"Which tender is there for me to take now?" Bandele puts on his arrogant hat. "Tell me who is in charge and where the person lives."

"Give me a minute, please." Rhulani goes off air to do some internet and tabloid searching. Running an errand for Bandele comes with perks because the businessman compensates for people's sweat.

Rhulani calls back. "There's one I think will be okay for a man of your standing – supply of transformers at the municipality."

"Transformers? What are those?"

"Electric transformers are used to distribute electricity to our people."

Bandele stays quiet for a moment. "That one is good enough. How will I start this thing? Who will I call? Give me names. You know how I do my things."

"You'll need to first register your company with the municipality before they'll consider you."

"Register?" Bandele chuckles and then leaves the bar area for his yellow-leather sofa. "Who doesn't know me at the municipality? Anyone asking me to register must be sacked."

"Well, people usually register their companies first. The officials will then call for tenders from all qualified companies. They'll shortlist a few and then award the project to the winning company. The process can be complex sometimes."

Bandele hisses at what sounds like hard work. "Not me. I'll go to their office tomorrow and introduce myself. Everyone who doesn't know me must come out and see what will happen."