Chapter 37

Returning to a school environment since high school gladdens Sheline the moment she steps into the Soweto campus of the University of Johannesburg. The sight of young people from all parts of the world is unique. Her childhood dream of picking up a university degree is finally here.

In the sea of heads within and around the campus, especially freshers who move around like toddlers arriving at the city mall for the first time, Sheline picks Grace with whom she chats for two hours, suggesting they're of like minds and therefore have confidence in each other. Aside from being in the same department of Journalism, Film and Television, they're both mild-mannered, though the latter is unmarried.

Sheline wraps up the registration process before visiting her department along with Grace, the Xhosa lady from Bloemfontein. Recalling Audrey's words regarding the kind of friends she keeps while in school, Sheline considers Grace a safe one, even from their similarly patterned knee-length gowns and Afro hairstyles.

One week is enough as orientation for the Bulawayo brought-up. She can't complain of stress when younger students who're weaker physically move around despite busy traffic in and around the school. Sheline quicken her pace; no room for sluggishness. News of crime and criminals dominate discourse in the taxi-buses, but the daily glimpse of decent settlements, friendly people and colourful school environment makes light of the complaints.

"Always remember the home you come from." Audrey's words play strong on Sheline's mind.

After school lectures, she'll arrive home for lessons on how to survive in Johannesburg. Soweto in particular. Margaret holds nothing back while sharing her past exploits, although she sometimes dodges distasteful events, leaving Sheline to find out on her own.

Sunday mornings are reserved for the church. Not even the searing heat will make them miss one. Fortitude is one thing Sheline is learning from the mother-of-two. Clearly, this woman has seen more troubles in life than her laid-back mom, Audrey.

Most weekend evenings, Sheline will accompany her aunt to the salon, during which Margaret will wave at those safe enough to associate with. Now with a lady who studies at the university, Margaret exudes panache, an attitude not previously known with her on Princewill Street. Many who thought Margaret dropped from heaven are surprised to see her proudly show her relative around.

"She's my niece from Zimbabwe and she's studying Journalism at the university," Margaret says to anyone within earshot.

Sheline gets to see that her aunt relates with members of the community after all. Maybe those in her building aren't as friendly.

"Don't talk to jobless people on the street," Margaret raises a warning finger. "And don't ignore them too."

Sheline turns askance at her aunt for a better explanation.

"Just say a few words to make them know you're not arrogant. That's all." Margaret makes it clear the street guys can make life hell. The young lady will do well to avoid controversies on account of her status as a beautiful Zimbabwean lady.

Margaret reminds Sheline before leaving for school. "Be watchful of who you meet and what time you return from school. Thieves will come for your handbag and can shoot if you refuse."

Because of the repeated warnings, Sheline walks around Soweto like a robot. That she takes one taxi-bus from Princewill to campus makes commuting a pleasure. At school, she moves in a triangular pattern: from the classroom to the library to the Christian fellowship centre. No partying, night-clubbing or social engagements make her leave the campus. If at all, it has to be for the students' unions meetings or the gathering of Zimbabwe Students Society.

In the classroom, Sheline takes to the front seats. Even when she arrives late, Grace, who lives close to the campus, ensures a seat is reserved. Their friendship grows steadily while none tries to hurt the other. The local girl shares stories about life in South Africa while Sheline does the same about her country. But the bulk of their discourse bothers on academics. That they attend fellowship together helps in no small way.

"How come you're married so early?" Grace asks, surprised such a pretty lady can keep such moral standards.

"He was ready to settle and my mom supported us. And since no one knows when the right one will come around, I went for it."

"That's right. No wonder you're so composed. Single ones like us have to hope and pray the good ones come around."

"Don't worry, my friend. He will find you soon."

Sheline speaks with Moyo every day, usually in the evenings. He makes sure to ring her up once at least but thrice mostly. Despite that, he sends her airtime so she can initiate the calls.

"How's school lesson today?" he'll ask. Her feeble voice and repeated yawns suggest campus life is tough. He has an idea of it anyway. The lovebirds sometimes talk for an hour, during which she briefs him about daily events.

"Auntie Maggie works so hard. In short, all Zimbabweans work hard to make a living. Jobs are scarce and things are tough."

Such words sound golden coming from Sheline's mouth. The picture she paints assures him she's in safe hands, much as he doesn't see anything wrong in saying a word or two to the woman keeping his wife safe. Margaret doesn't speak with Moyo often.

A month flies but Audrey doesn't receive news that her daughter falls sick, as might be the case. That gladdens the old woman who concludes that Sheline is settling well in the new place.

Month-end, Sheline takes a trip to Bulawayo to fulfil her promise. It's a happy reunion that sees both husband and wife showing fondness for each other. Moyo, who's been visiting the local university in her absence, shows off snazzy words he learnt.

"You're sounding a bit different," Sheline says of his changing tone, resisting the urge to suspect him of seeing a side-chick. Moyo isn't the one to cheat. She won't raise unnecessary dust.

Sheline visits her in-laws in Nyerere Street where they're happy to receive her.

"Our university wife is here!" Moyo's mom stamps around in a playful manner, bringing out a 1945 dictionary she borrowed from a friend, just in case Sheline hurls big English words.

As usual, neighbours come around with roving eyes to scrutinize Sheline for change in attitude. They measure the circumference of her belly with their gazes, to check if she's pregnant or not? These people can announce the precise age of a foetus with just a gaze!

Sheline stays calm as always, picking her words carefully to show that university life isn't getting into her head. Sounding foreign would be off-putting in this clime. Upsetting even.

"I trust all is fine over there." Pa Malvin asks.

"Everything is fine, Papa. I take good care of my wife," Moyo boasts with a hand on his chest. Their happy faces suggest so, anyway.

Day after, they drive to Morningside where they're treated to varieties of small-chops and drinks under Audrey's supervision. Mother and daughter chat for three hours while Moyo watches TV, having visited twice while Sheline was away.

Sheline paints pictures of a happy stay with Margaret. "She warns me regularly about the people. And since I'm married, I must be careful who I move with."

Audrey's jaw slackens. "Margaret says all that?"

"Yes. And she attends church every Sunday. We never miss it."

"That's nice to hear."

Those words, and the passion informing them soothe Moyo who now thinks Margaret's aloofness might be shyness after all. Maybe she's the type who only opens up in a face-to-face discussion. The opportunity to meet her will come someday.

Moyo and Sheline stay indoors for three days. Her one-month hiatus feels like a year; he won't waste a minute unnecessarily. Their bed attests to the nature of activities taking place. Even on Monday morning, he engages her before taking her to the bus station.

"Say me well to Aunty Maggie," he says, handing over some gifts for Margaret's children.