Chapter 29

To comb Sandton for designer wears in preparation for the upcoming birthday bash, Bandele leaves the castle with his aides – Molefi and Akida. If not that Molefi suggested suits, he would have settled for his favourite golden Italian t-shirts and jeans trousers on his birthday.

Flanking him at the back of his BMW X6 are two ladies, Dineo and Surya – one black, one Indian.

"Will you stay with us till will return or you're going to school?" Bandele asks Dineo.

"I'm not going for lectures today. There's not much happening."

Bandele laughs, eyeing the girl whose company he enjoys.

Surya stretches her neck forward, just in case Bandele has forgotten she's here too. Even if her relationship with the big man is hard to define, the ex-model left Fordsburg 5 am to join this train. Her good taste for fashion is the reason she's here, a fact Bandele scooped when they met at a Centurion party two years back.

Upon arrival at the Nelson Mandela Square, Bandele walks leisurely ahead, looking around to see who's giving him attention in the precinct of Africa's richest square mile. His glittering white shirt and black shoes stand him out amid the sea of heads. And his entourage passing for conquered tribes makes him noticeable.

But in a neighbourhood where international businessmen hold meetings, moguls and head of conglomerates, the Soweto Lion doesn't pass for more than an interesting clannish leader, making him wish he were taller than his 5'8'' self. No one in the crowd rushes forth to kiss his hand. That might have made his day.

Once inside the mall, Surya leads the group to the Louis Vuitton Stores where a slim, light-skinned attendant hurries towards them. "Welcome, sir."

"Do you have suits of different colours?" Bandele won't let Surya do the talking.

"We have all kinds of suits that meet your needs." The attendant flails hands, making faces, taking Bandele for one of the wealthy Africans who don't transact quietly. "Single and double-breasted ornamented suites, tuxedoes and Mandarin. Our collections are made from the finest materials, and we customise them just the way you want."

The dramatic displays from the smooth-talking, curly-haired attendant get Bandele smiling. He suddenly remembers Surya: "He's talking to you. Which one of these things will fit me very well?"

Surya steps forward to ask: "Can we see your entire range?"

"Sure."

Bandele walks towards a section, grabbing the sleeve of a pink tuxedo. "Give me eight of this stuff in different colours."

The attendant makes a note, raising brows at the twenty-five thousand rands price tag.

"Wear one of them first, before asking for many," Surya suggests to her principal who does as advised. And on seeing how nice it looks on Bandele, she says "Lekker."

For thirty minutes, she leads the group to select different items: suits, shoes, belts, boxers and face caps.

"Pick for yourselves too," Bandele asks of each person. "And remember Pono," he tells Molefi, who's been quiet the entire time.

While Surya picks a handbag and earrings, Dineo, visiting Vuitton for the first time, goes for an ornamented white dress with a red rose on the left shoulder. Shoes aren't a problem – she recently picked five pairs. It crosses her mind to ask if she'll be by Bandele's side on his birthday but seeing his aloofness since arriving at the mall, and Surya's overzealousness, courage fails her.

The group returns to the Polemann, cruising into the castle at dusk.

Surya hangs around, believing her job isn't done. And, although the mansion looks different from when she last visited, it won't hurt to spend the night here again. Her last sleepover fetched twenty-thousand rands transport fare – two-month salary at the time. With a Vuitton handbag and earrings already in the kitty, Christmas is coming early.