Chapter 16

Sunday morning, dressed in similarly pattered African prints, Mr and Mrs Malvin pay a visit to Audrey in Morningside.

"Welcome people," Audrey teases as the couple step into the sitting room. A cursory glance at the pair points to a blissful stay together. She always knew Sheline would be safe with Moyo. A silent prayer pops up in her mind: this marriage should last the rest of their lives.

A fifteen-year-old maid walks into the living room, dressed in an apron, hair covered with a scarf.

"I miss your help around the house, but Juliet has been trying her best." Audrey points at the girl who genuflects towards the couple in greeting. She's meeting them for the first time.

"Oh, this is the girl you've been talking about." Sheline waves at Juliet. "Hello."

Juliet greets the couple again, asking if they'll like to eat, to which they requested snacks and juice.

The girl leaves for the kitchen.

Though done over the phone, Audrey gives a lowdown of the number of goodwill visitors she received days after the wedding – neighbours, church members and well-wishers. She goes on for about an hour. "People travelled from Harare, where we used to live before coming here."

Before she hired Juliet, many of her friends' daughters came around to help with errands, some asking to be invited on a part-time basis.

"Aww, how nice of them." Sheline tilts her head.

"Did you call to thank church elders who attended your wedding?"

"Yes, I spoke to them on the phone."

"Yes... you said so." Audrey raises her brows and touches her forehead. "I easily forget things these days."

"But did you visit any?"

"None yet."

"Oh, please do. Visit Mama Grace at least. And Deacon Esther. Thank you over the phone won't be enough for all they did."

Turning to Moyo, Audrey says: "Please go with her. She'll also take you to a few other places."

"I told her we have places to visit," Moyo quips, "but she refuses to leave the house."

"Please. You two can visit them now."

The urgency Audrey accords the visits lifts the couple to their feet. Moyo takes the lead, taking his wife on a drive around Morningside. The trip turns out a farewell visit of some sorts. After thanking the hosts, Sheline briefs them on her plans to leave for school, to which they offer prayers and, in some cases, gifts. The pair soon returns to Western Street where Sheline seeks to know more about Margaret.

Hardly have they settled to eat snacks when Sheline starts to talk.

"We've discussed much about auntie Maggi, but now that I'll be staying with her in Soweto, I need to know the kind of person she is. I believe—"

"There's no need to worry. Margaret and I grew up in Harare and..."

Audrey gets the hint that Moyo wants to know about Margaret. His doubt is understandable anyway. She begins a tale of her youthful days – stories Sheline had heard in bits and pieces but which now need keener ears. Audrey reclines on the chair, sharpens her tongue and recounts events of yore.

***

Audrey and Margaret, the only children, lost their parents in a motor accident. It then fell on Audrey, twenty, to look after her eight-year-old sister.

Their paternal uncle, Jude, brought them to his house, having separated from his wife. Being childless, the girls filled a void. He encouraged them to study hard, even willing to sponsor their college education, despite his meagre income.