Chapter 4

For achieving the tasks he woke up thinking about, those for which he rolled from edge to edge on the bed, Moyo arrives home patting himself on the back. His best love interest ever – Sheline – now has his words of affection. She has his proposal to ponder over, and that should keep her busy for a night or two. He ought to have waited for her reply instead of merely dropping his phone number. Doubts creep in about the impact of his hasty exit from her residence.

Well, how people propose to ladies differ. Most guys won't ask a lady to marry them on the first visit to her house. They'll consider such brash and too direct. Maybe he deserves some accolades for breaching the rule.

Perhaps his unexpected overture explains Sheline's shock reaction. But she ought not to be – hundreds of schoolgirls date working-class men in Bulawayo and elsewhere. For sure this can't be the first proposal she'll be listening to. Such a pretty lady must have dated in the past. The issue remains whether she's ready for marriage or not. Her ageing mom may help with that.

What if Sheline laughs him off as a joke as some immature ladies do to men? Or even pass him off as a poor never-do-well. No, she won't do such – the importance he accords this matter should underscore his sincerity. No serious-minded fellow will knock on a lady's door to toy with her feelings, knowing her mother hangs around. If the old woman asks about the purpose of his visit, Sheline will state the facts point blank. A proper Shona girl won't term a suitor's proposal a joke.

But what if she declines, saying she doesn't see in him a worthy partner? It won't be the first no-show from a lady but such a reply will be tough to accept. He'll have to continue pestering her 'til she succumbs. Or even bring in Richard whose verbal power is sure to make her balk. The lady shouldn't be hard to convince, anyway. She's naïve, regardless of her confident posturing.

The worst excuse she'll give is her degree pursuit, in which case he won't mind waiting until she graduates from the university. For sure, such a girl deserves the wait. Hasn't he been living alone all these years?

The girl must quickly make up her mind because she has a serious proposal to consider. A sensible and well-trained lady should appreciate an honest man who's not out to deceive her.

For two days Moyo awaits a call from Sheline but no luck. The wait is hard but he restrains himself from making another trip to Morningside. He won't pester her for a reply. An eager lady will find an excuse to express herself, even if it's to text him about today's weather.

What might be going through her mind at the moment? Two days is enough to make up one's mind about a man. Is she holding back because she knows little about him? But he doesn't know much about her either. His hope lay in the Shona values her old mother must have instilled in her.

Could Sheline be considering their age difference? At nineteen, she can't claim to be too young for marriage. Not when girls two years her junior move around with kids strapped to their backs or bellies. And many her age beat their chests about walking away from their marriages because of abuses. No, age isn't an issue here.

Thinking his one-chance proposal is enough to win over the Morningside damsel, Moyo loiters by the window, cutting the picture of a man behind bars, awaiting trial at the magistrate court. He sweeps himself into a world of fantasy where Sheline rules.

The love-struck chap visualises Sheline sashaying his neighbourhood. What kinds of food does she eat and what delicacies can she prepare? Which brands of clothes will suit her hour-glass figure? Does she enjoy walking on high heels? Moyo sees Sheline's hand on every item in his flat. He even kisses her forehead before leaving for work.

Could her mom be holding her back? No, that soft-hearted woman won't likely do such. He'll do whatever is necessary to make them see the reason he's a good choice, the best choice. Sheline represents all he desires in a wife, no need poking nose elsewhere. No other lady out there can command his attention this way. Not in Bulawayo. Not anywhere else.

Fast forward two weeks, the situation stays the same. "But why isn't she calling?" Moyo asks himself by the window. "Didn't I express myself well enough? Did I talk about marriage too soon? Is my approach the reason for this snub?" Questions throng Moyo's mind. The confused man sees a need for a follow-up Morningside visit.