Chapter 44

Guilt creeps up to Sheline the moment she drops the phone after thanking Bandele for the gifts received. She's now giving more attention to a man who's not her husband. That shouldn't be, she thinks.

Sheline sits up on the bed, back to the wall, leg-crossed. She picks up her new phone to dial Moyo. "I just want to hear from you this morning."

"You're not calling me daily these days. Are you alright?"

"I'm okay."

Do you have airtime?"

"Not every time."

"I'll send you fifty-rand airtime tomorrow."

"Okay." She sighs.

"See you soon."

The UJ student sees no need to discuss Bandele's gifts, which is the reason she picked up the phone in the first place. She'll tell him about them when next they meet.

She can't help but appreciate what Bandele is doing. Ladies come to the class looking their best and they do denigrate. If a family-friend shows up to keep her afloat, he's more than welcome, especially when he's harmless and kind – she can see through the rumours and hearsays peddled about him.

As weekend approaches Sheline begins to plan towards her Bulawayo reunion visit. Although her stay in South Africa is becoming more interesting, she must travel every month for companionship. Besides, the cost of photocopying textbooks and paying for handouts are on the increase. Moyo must add to her monthly allowance to reflect the rising costs of living.

Moreover, she misses Audrey. No amount of telephone call will replace chatting with her mom while sitting by her side.

The following Saturday, Sheline takes an early-morning bus from Johannesburg Park Station to Bulawayo, arriving there at 4:13 pm. Moyo receives his wife with a big smile and a prolonged hug. While driving home, they branch to a fast-food outlet to get food.

Now back to Rhodesville Estate, tireless Sheline won't take a rest right away. She walks around the building exchanging pleasantries with neighbours hoping to pick up information whether or not her husband had stayed loyal. It's becoming hard to believe that a man will stay this long without his spouse.

On entering the flat, she calls her mom to announce her arrival. The mother demands an immediate visit.

"We'll visit her tomorrow," Moyo asserts.

While they munch, Sheline narrates her experience in South Africa, sounding excited at how tough it's been adapting to life on campus. "I'm still struggling with settling down but academic issues are fine."

Moyo observes that his woman now expresses herself louder than before. Her changing choice of words and widening eyes communicate something different. He shrugs them off and refuses to ask questions, unwilling to give in to mere suspicions. "Why don't you leave this talk for tomorrow? You need to relax."

Sheline doses off on the bed after the meal, during which Moyo lingers by the window, peeping into vast darkness as he muses over their discussions. He thinks clearer when not looking at her.

Something about this lady sounds different from her first visit. She rambles a lot and talks a tad too much about students wearing fashionable attires. Is Sheline losing focus? Last time, a huge part of her report was based on school work. Now, it's all about looking good.

Also, the number of times she mentioned Margaret suggests that the woman has an undue influence on her. Of course, an aunt will influence her niece in some ways, especially when they live under the same roof. For the fact that the woman no longer picks his calls, his trust in her is fast thinning out.