Chapter12

Sheline weds Moyo at the Leeway Hall in Morningside, bringing together over three hundred guests, a number Audrey finds shocking. Despite the crowd, the gathering isn't a lavish one. It turns out to be a traditional wedding, a church wedding and reception party rolled into one. While cultural ambassadors are on ground to inspect the groom's gift to his bride, a clergy handles the spiritual side of the event, offering marital blessings to the couples.

Moyo, dressed in a black suit, carries infectious smiles all through the programme. His siblings and long-term friends – Richard, Tashinga and Tofara – as well as colleagues at work and former schoolmates, are here to celebrate with him, bringing along their wives, fiancées and girlfriends. The unattached ones buckle their belts.

Moyo's parents, accompanied by well-wishers, walk around in spritely strides, raising their heads high to be identified as the forebears of the day's groom. Such a gathering doesn't happen often in their locality where the standard is for a girl to sneak into her lover's house and thereafter label herself his wife. No official ceremony. No vows exchange.

It pleases to see that Moyo chooses a different route. Why won't his parents beat their chests?

Sheline looks regal and gleeful in her beautiful white gown. Her equally pretty friends surround her, making sure she lacks nothing. Most of the guests – from far and wide – are here to felicitate with the amiable bride and her reserved mother. Margaret isn't able to make the trip from Soweto.

After the solemnization procedures, there's plenty to eat and drink. Music blast at intervals. And as dancers show bodily skills, merry-making takes over. A joyful gathering it is indeed for the newlyweds who revel in the company of each other, basking in the euphoria of their big day.

Richard steps out to offer a toast.

"Good people, let me start my speech by throwing a question to the guests here seated, especially the men: Is it possible for a man to judge a young lady's beauty based on the looks of her mother?"

A few of the guests respond in the affirmative. Others shake their heads, looking puzzled, wondering where he's heading.

Richard continues.

"Permit me to share this short story with you, people. Two friends planned to go watch a movie at the cinema, but one didn't show up because he saw a woman whose daughter he thought must be beautiful. The man in question abandoned his friend and decided to take the woman home to see if his assumptions were correct. Lo and behold, on getting to the house, he saw an angel walking out of the gate. That angel turns out to be Sheline seated here. You've just heard the beginning of the relationship we are here celebrating."

Guests applaud the speaker, but Richard isn't done.

"On a day when I was dressed up for the cinema, Moyo left me by the roadside to run after today's bride, Sheline. I was upset when he didn't show up because I waited for almost two hours, or even three. But when I eventually saw her, I forgot the pain Moyo caused me. Which man in his right senses will see such a lady and prefer a movie instead? I'm sure you'll all agree with me that with keen foresight, a bachelor can see his future wife in unplanned ways. Those of us who're still single can learn from this. If only Sheline has a sister, I might have tried my luck. But I'm told she's the only daughter, so I will look elsewhere.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's Sheline and Moyo's day. Enjoy yourselves."

Richard drops the microphone to a thunderous round of applause. Chatting and merry-making continues, after which he oversees the cake cutting by the couple who then takes multiple photographs with selected guests. As music notch up in volume, they take to the dance floor.