Chapter 19

Molefi arrives at Polemann Castle the following morning in high spirit. The job applicant can't wait to impress the crazy wealthy man who gave him money the previous day. Three thousand, four hundred rands for transport fare – the largest sum he ever received from anyone since he completed a psychology degree at the University of South Africa two years ago. Doling out such an unrounded figure shows that Bandele doesn't count cash. There should be more to such a man. He'll find that out today.

Getting to Bandele's mansion, a security man slides the gate open for Molefi to step in. Pono is around to welcome the new face – knowing Bandele doesn't give cash to male strangers for the sake of it. Molefi must have impressed the boss in some ways, hence this invitation.

Molefi steps into the large compound, noting at first the beautiful interlocking tiles spread all over. He paces measuredly behind Pono, marvelling at the magnificent edifice standing before him. Bandele is indeed a wealthy tenderpreneur, but this degree of wealth is beyond his expectation.

The structure, a three-storey mansion, is covered in white marble. That it sits at the tail end of the street marks it out in the area. The metallic maroon gate is twice Molefi's above-average height. The compound should be about three-quarters or four-fifth of a football pitch.

The dimension of the security post compares with his sister's bachelor's flat in Arcadia. At the far end of the compound is a garage housing eight wonder-on-wheels, all of different brands and colours, each befitting a sitting president.

Pono leads the guest into the building, entering through the lower floor. The sitting-room to the right, a hallway ahead and several rooms line up on the left. He slides open the sitting-room glass door. "Please, take a seat. Let me check if the boss is ready to see you." He then walks towards the stairs which is covered in red Persian rug.

"Okay." Molefi glides through the parted door of the exquisitely furnished living room – the grandest he ever stepped into. Dropping to the cozy sofa which hugs his bosom, his right-hand runs through the succulent cushion as he appreciates the thick velvet fabric. Either this man is a player in the mining industry or his business is listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.

Pono returns. "He's busy on the phone. What will you like to drink?"

"Anything. Just anything."

Pono enters the kitchen and returns with a tray of juice and glass cup, dropping them by the stool close to Molefi.

"Thank you, sir."

"Don't use 'sir' for me." Pono recalls that Bandele doesn't like his staff to answer titles. "I'm Ponolytus Mabuza. Pono for short."

"All right, Mister Mabuza."

Pono walks away unimpressed about the Mister prefix. His simple t-shirt tucked into a pair of khaki trousers, same he wore the day before, marks him out as a well-fed messenger cum manager. He goes about doing his job without fuss.

Bandele's bass and croaky voice echo through the building as he climbs down the stairs. He soon appears with the same lady met at the restaurant yesterday.

Molefi stifles his back, glancing at the wall clock which displays 11:53 am. "Good day, sir."

"Yes, you..." Bandele points his left index finger. "You're here on time."

"Yes, sir."

"I'm coming for you."

At the exit door, Bandele digs out some bulky wads from the pocket of his pyjamas which he hands over to the lady. "See you."

"All right." She blows a kiss before leaving.

Bandele turns to Molefi, rubbing his tummy. "Yes. I like people who come early. Let's talk."