Twenty-seven-year-old Molefi returns a few minutes later, looking ruffled. "Nolwazi is busy, sir." He passes a random message.

"Busy?" Bandele grimaces. "Is she coming or not?"

"She doesn't seem to be aware that someone is waiting for her. She's doing her office work."

"Doing her work? I asked her to give me details of their tenders, she went to get busy." Bandele steps out of the car, searches around as if willing to punish the lady for disrespecting him.

"Sir, you can find details about tenders on the municipality website," Molefi says. "They're also in the Thursday copies of the Sowettan Independent newspaper."

Bandele takes a second and studied look at Molefi who looks polished and well-read. The urgency he accorded his request shows how good he is with tender matters. For sure he knows better than Pono who suddenly shows up in the distance, plodding like a marathoner wrapping up the last lap of a ten-kilometre race.

Molefi has a round face with a defined, slightly pointed chin and a sturdy jawline. His eyes, small and evenly spaced apart, sit below trim eyebrows. No moustache, no beards, his dutiful outlook and careful explanations appeal to Bandele. This one will be useful at the mansion. He can help with paper-work and reading reports which some distant consultant currently does.

"Do you work here?"

"I don't work, sir. I only came to drop CV."

"Sea View? What is that?"

"Curriculum Vitae, sir – CV. A paper we submit when applying for —"

"Why do you know about tenders if you don't work here?"

"I read papers a lot. Being a job applicant, many things interest me." Molefi explains with a straight face, unwilling to let this opportunity slip. Many people have narrated how they find help in unplanned places. This might just be his chance.

"Tell me what you know about tenders." Bandele retreats into the vehicle, a smile sneaks onto his face.

Molefi feels encouraged. "I've had opportunities to work with business people looking for tenders in my area. The experience was an eye-opening one for me."

The more Molefi speaks, the more Bandele sees in him someone he can trust. The big man's grin grows wider as his head tilts. "Why don't you call me your boss so I can help you?"

Molefi's heart skips a beat as he flashes a cautious grin. "Boss...sir."

Pono shows up gasping; sweat dripping from his temple much as he wipes them off.

Bandele charges at him, flaring his nostrils. "Where did you go?"

"I went into their offices to look for the person who gives people tenders. They directed me from one place to the other, but at last, I found the place. The women didn't co-operate much and..."

Bandele peeks at Molefi, thinking the stranger will equally find Pono's story boring, but Molefi's eyes stay fixed on the floor.

Pono isn't done though.

"They showed me an office where they put lots of folders and tender records. I make sure to go through them and at the end..."

"At the end, what?" Bandele charges, his voice rising.

"At the end, someone says we should check online – on the internet."

Bandele waves him aside with a frown. The essence of his winding tales is what Molefi arrived at in less than five minutes. Working with Pono is becoming burdensome. He turns to Molefi, "Come with us. We can talk on the way to the restaurant."