Chapter 15

Max and El rode the bike back to Max's house.

"Billy" Max called out as she entered the house. Billy's car wasn't in the driveway but she heard music blasting from his room.

Max ran down the hall banging on the bedroom door.

"What?" Billy asked annoyed as he swung the door open. He had a towel in the other hand, drying off his blonde curls. He was only wearing a pair of jeans.

"Can I help you?" Billy asked even more annoyed.

"Have you seen Lauryn today?" Max asked looking to El really quickly.

"Yeah she wasn't feeling well. I'm about to head to her house why?" Billy asked walking back into his room. He shuffled some clothes around his closet picking out a short sleeve button up.

"She was at Heather's house eating dinner" Max added walking into the room.

"Okay? What's your point. Heather was concerned about her today at the pool. Probably invited her to have dinner" Billy explained as he brushed his hair.

"Billy-" Max began but was cut off.

"Enough Max. I'm going to see Lauryn, everything is fine" Billy sassed pushing past Max and down the hall to the front door.

"See El, everything is fine" Max said trying to reassure the girl. "Sleep over it will be fun"

The two girls spent the rest of the night reading comic books.

Lauryn, however, was at the factory with Heather. The two girls tied Janet and Tom to the pipe.

"Heather whatever she has you wrapped up in. We can help you get out of it" Tom frantically said. Fear in his eyes when he glanced at Lauryn.

"Daddy don't worry" Heather said. Lauryn reached down removing the gag from Janet's mouth.

"Don't move" Lauryn whispered before the two headed back up the stairs. Heather waited by the basement stairs for her parents to be "turned" while Lauryn ran.

She ran straight home huffing behind her front door. These moments of possession were becoming longer and stronger.

The doorbell ran scaring Lauryn out of her trance. She opened it to find Billy standing on the opposite side with flowers in his hand.

"Hey I got you flowers, you know, just one of the many ways I'm going to make it up to you. How are you feeling?" Billy asked stepping into the house.

Lauryn closed the door and grabbed Billy into the biggest hug. He stroked her back as she clung onto him.

"Don't leave me" was all Lauryn said.

"I won't" Billy responded back. He wasn't sure if she meant the night or just in general but he meant it either way.

"So you had dinner at Heather's? Max told me. She seemed worried about you" Billy explained as the two headed upstairs to her bedroom.

"Yeah, she stopped by" Lauryn vaguely remembered dinner as she wasn't herself. Only momentarily she was, telling Max to leave. It must have scared her.

She could feel the possession wanting to take over but Lauryn fought the feeling. Lauryn knew deep down that she couldn't harm Billy, she would never.

The next morning Billy and Lauryn headed to the pool. Lauryn tucked herself under an umbrella making sure the sun didn't hit an ounce of skin.

The gang of kids minus Dustin gathered outside of the pool. El has suspected that Lauryn could be the host of the mind flayer.

"You really think she is?" Max asked as they passed around the binoculars.

"When has the girl ever not tanned" Mike said.

"Well there's only one way to find out. We need heat" Lucas said.

"We use the sauna. We just need to distract Billy while we lure Lauryn" Mike added. Max looked uneasy, she loved Lauryn like a sister and was praying it wasn't her.

The kids set up the plan while Lauryn unsuspectingly laid by the pool. Once the pool closed Lauryn and Billy went to their respective locker rooms to shower and change.

The kids lured Billy out of the locker room before luring Lauryn in. Once Lauryn was inside the sauna they used a pipe and chain to secure her inside.

"Let me out" she yelled as her skin began to burn. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead almost instantly.

"Max" Lauryn sighed as she leaned against the small window. Lauryn was beginning to show visible pain.

"Do it" Max said. Will ran to the thermostat turning the sauna up to 220°F. Suddenly a loud bang was heard, Billy hard broken through the locked locker room door.

"What the hell" he yelled trying to find the culprits.

"Max? Why the fuck are you here" he asked. He then say Lauryn trapped, locked in the sauna.

"What are doing? You're going to kill her" Billy yelled all concerned. He ran straight for the chain trying to break it. El used her powers to push him back.

"I'm dreaming right" Billy said confused as to how he was dragged across the room.

"Billy stop" Max yelled.

"Billy let me out" Lauryn cried. The pain and burning too much for Lauryn to bare made her crawl into a ball. Max and Billy approached the sauna as they heard cries.

"It's not my fault. It's not my fault" Lauryn cried out.

"What's not your fault?" Max asked. Lauryn looked up at the window.

"I, I did bad things. I tried not to" Lauryn continued to cry out.

"Max you and your dumb friends need to open this damn door now" Billy demanded smashing his fist against the wall.

"She's dangerous" Mike protested.

"Lauryn, babe what did you do?" Billy asked as he pressed his face against the glass.

"This possession, or shadow made me do it. It made me bring them" Lauryn cried out. Her skin became paler and the veins became dark and noticeable.

Lauryn grabbed a piece of tile throwing it through the glass window. Lauryn then proceeds to pull the bar out and slams her body against the door.

"Let me out. I'll kill you all" she screams. Billy pulls Max and the others back.

"What's wrong with her?" Billy asks all concerned.

"It's activated" Will comments. The lights begin to flicker as the mind flayer draws on the energy.