Chapter 21*

*this chapter has been revised to coincide with season 4*

"Lauryn?" a voice said. Her body was disturbed from the much needed sleep. "Lauryn!" The voice shouted, this time with more passion and anger.

"Leave me alone" Lauryn muttered back, still half a sleep. Her hand swatted the empty air as she rolled over to the other side, facing away from the person disturbing her.

"Lauryn. Come on. We're gonna be late" Troy shouted, violently shaking her out of her slumber. Lauryn's eye shifted to the clock on her nightstand.

"Shit!" She exclaimed noticing the time. She had approximately ten minutes to get to school before the both of them would be late. "Get out so I can get changed. I'll be down in two" Lauryn shouted looking around for a pair of jeans to throw on.

She quickly brushed her hair and teeth before grabbing her bag and jumping into the driver seat. Without even checking Lauryn reversed out of the driveway and sped down the street.

"What were you doing last night? Hooking up with another rando?" Troy questioned his sister.

"Troy!" Lauryn scolded. Though she knew it was the truth she didn't want her youngest brother to think poorly of her. "I was up late studying. Mind your own business or you'll be walking to school" Lauryn lied, turning into the school parking lot to see everyone being ushered into the gym. "Fuck" she muttered under her breath. It was the damn prep rally. Troy immediately got out of the car but Lauryn stayed in it a few minutes longer.

She watched as everyone filed into the gym. Robin was with the marching band. The two hadn't spoken much. She often hung out with Steve.

Her attention then shifted to Nancy with her newspaper club. Her best friend was a complete stranger.

Billy and Lucas stood near the gym, dressed in their goofy Hawkins High basketball uniforms, Chrissy's hands crawling all over his chest. She was the new girl of the month.

Max, all moppy walked by Billy and Lucas. Her headphones glued to her ears. She was a loner, not a single friend in school.

Dustin and Mike kept to themselves, wearing their Hellfire Club shirts.

Then there was Jonathan, Will and El who moved to Lenora, California. The furthest point from Hawkins. It was partially the reason why everyone had gone their own ways. There was truly only one thing to blame. 

July 4th.

Everything had fallen apart since that day.

Billy's dad shortly after divorced Max's mom after she had mentioned the abuse. She was only trying to stick up for herself and Billy but Neil wanted to hear none of it. Max and her mother were kicked out, barely given anything.

Max and her mom were forced to move to the trailer park community. Rumors were her mother was a drunk working two jobs and still not making ends meet. Lauryn could see why Max had sheltered herself away from the world.

Lauryn was no better than the rest of them. She ignored Steve almost always and would ditch family dinners to meet up with some random Hawkins high guy in hopes of it getting around to Billy.

Lauryn wanted to prove she was okay, that she could be the girl Billy wanted to believe her to be. Thought the only thing Billy heard was the rumors people would spread about Lauryn being pregnant. She instead became the class whore, losing Billy forever.

So on the outside she kept up the act. Words didn't hurt her. The school could gossip all they wanted and Lauryn continued to do what she was doing. Filling an empty void.

In reality, Lauryn was ashamed of the person she had become.

She lost Tammy that summer when she went to Nashville and got discovered. Could Tammy sing, no, but she was surely convinced she was going places. Enough to leave senior year and move.

Lauryn was truly all alone.

A sudden tap from the window startled Lauryn out of her thoughts. She looked to the left to see the guidance counselor smiling. Lauryn gripped her backpack and opened the driver door.

"Lauryn did you forget about yesterday?" She asked still smiling widely at her.

"Ms. Kelly. My apologies. I had so much homework after school it had slipped my mind" Lauryn lied.

"See me after the pep rally?" She questioned. Lauryn shook her head yes before filing into the gym with the other Hawkins High students.