Chapter 36

The door to the RV pushed up and Eddie jumped in joy. "Thank god you guys are back. These two haven't stopped sucking face since you left"

"We have to go!" Steve warned jumping into the driver seat. Lauryn and Billy pulled their lips away from each other once more.

"What happened? Don't tell me you stole!" Lauryn asked.

"Your old friends are here!" Erica said to Lucas as she sat down with the bag of stuff they bought.

"Old friends?" Lucas questioned. Billy and Lauryn peeked out the back curtain as Steve pulled out of the parking lot. There they saw the basketball team, looking madder than ever.

"Shit!" Billy said.

"Where to now?" Steve asked.

"Cerebro" Dustin whispered. "The hill. Opposite side there's an empty field. No one should be able to find us there" Dustin informed Steve who took a quick left down a dirt road. The RV drove a few miles down the dirt path before it stopped all together. Everyone got out to start crafting weapons for the next phase of their plan.

Lauryn joined Dustin and Eddie who were hammering in nails to the metal garbage can lids.

"I, uh, just want to say. This is some bad ass stuff you two agreed to. Warding off bats. Heroes in my book" Lauryn said giving the two a smile.

Dustin smiled at Lauryn but Eddie remained quiet. Lauryn handed him another nail which he took from her hand.

"Look, I like you. Okay. Spending time in the boat house was great. You are one of my new best friends when we make it out of this alive Munson. But I also learned that I love Billy" Eddie still not interested in talking to Lauryn hammered another nail. Lauryn sighed. "Look, I'm about to tell you both something that I haven't told a single soul. Not Billy. Not Steve. No one" Lauryn began. Eddie peeked out from the corner of his eye to hear Lauryn's story.

"I took a pregnancy test before the summer of '85 started. It turned out positive. I was terrified to tell Billy. Not because of how he reacted but because of how our lives would change. I had to wait all night for him to come back from lifeguard training to tell him the news. In the interim I took three more tests. Just to make sure. Turns out the first was a false positive. I cried on the bathroom floor for an hour. I thought I was going to be relieved but instead I found myself sad. Was the timing wrong side, but I wanted that with Billy. I never stopped wanting it" Lauryn revealed.

"Look, I'm happy for you. Really I am" Eddie said smiling at Lauryn. He placed a hand on her shoulder before continuing with lid.

"Lauryn" Steve called out across the field. She stood up from her spot and sprinted over to Steve.

"Dude you can do soooo much better" Dustin said to Eddie break him out of his trance.

"Are you kidding me Henderson. There's not much better than her" Eddie scoffed.

"That's where you're wrong. It's your year" Dustin reminded him. Eddie stood up at the sound of what Dustin said. It was liberating to be reminded of what was to come for Eddie Munson. The two began to wrestle with each other in a childish manner catching Lauryn's attention. She smiled watching them from a far before turning back to the conversation.

"You get a few minutes top before the music goes back on okay?" Steve asked making sure Lauryn understood.

"Yeah I got it. Distraction. That's all I am" Lauryn said. Steve nervously smiled, running his hand through his hair.

"Okay then. Let's get Phase 1 going" Steve instructed. Everyone quietly loaded up in the RV. No one dared to speak a word as Steve stopped at the Creel House.