💙 Thor: The Dark World (Part 2)

"We are still unable to restore the palace shields. Our artillery cannot detect them, even Heimdall cannot see them. We are all but defenseless." Fandral said, schematics of the palace pulled up.

"She is your prisoner now?" Thor asked, aproaching the little council with Olivia in tow. Loki wanted to be left alone for a little while, which was understandable. "Leave us." The council disbanded, leaving just Odin, Thor, and Olivia.

"I do not wish to fight with you." Odin said.

"Nor I with you, but we intend to pursue Malekith." Thor said.

"We possess the Aether, Malekith will come to us." Odin replied.

"Yes, and you will destroy us." Olivia cut in.

"You overestimate the power of these creatures." Odin told her sharply.

"No, I value our peoples lives. We'll take Jane to the Dark World and draw the enemy away from Asgard. When Malekith pulls the Aether from Jane it will be exposed, vulnerable, and I will destroy it and him."

"If you fail, you risk this weapon falling into the hands of our enemies."

"The risk is far greater if we do nothing. His ship could be over our heads right now and we'd never even know it!"

"If and when he comes, his men will fall by ten thousand Asgardian blades."

"And how of our men shall fall on theirs?"

"As many as are needed! We will fight! Until the last Asgardian breath, the last drop of Asgardian blood." Odin all but yelled. Thor could only watch the verbal sparing between his father and his sister. He knew there was a mutual loathing between them, but Olivia had been biting back far more than she used to. He made a mental note to ask her for details.

"And how are you different from Malekith?" Olivia continued. Odin chuckled, an unsettling sound.

"The difference, daughter of Iri, is that I will win." Odin said, before turning and walking away.

"He's weary, did you notice how pained he looked?" Thor asked.

"And?" Olivia asked, arms folded. Thor sighed, not wanting to start another fight. "So what do we do now?"

"We ask for help." Thor replied.

***

Dining Hall

Thor and Olivia sat alone at a table, almost no one else around. Looking up, they saw Heimdall approach them.

"You're not in Odin's war council?" Thor asked.

"The Bifrost is closed by your father's orders. No one is to come or go." The gatekeeper replied, sitting down at the table and removing his helmet. Olivia slid him a drink, though he made no move to take it. "We face an enemy that's invisible even to me. Of what use is a guardian such as that?"

"Still a good one." Olivia said.

"We need your help." Thor added.

"I cannot overrule my king's wishes, not even for you." Heimdall said curly.

"We're not asking you to." Olivia said.

"The Realms need their Allfather strong and unchallenged, whether he is or not. But he is blinded, Heimdall. By hatred and by grief." Thor said.

"As are we all." Heimdall said.

"I see clearly enough."

"The risks are too great."