❤✨🎶 The Star Spangled Man With a Plan

A/N

I provided a link to a clip of the scene as well as the comic that inspired this (credit to original owners)

***

Quiet days in the Avengers tower never stayed quiet for long. Something was bound to go wrong at some point. Today was one of those days. Steve had a cup of coffee and was reading the newspaper that morning. He was an early bird, and was usually up first or second, Bucky also tending to wake up early. He was awake with Steve that morning as well. That, of course, omitted Tony, who stayed up late working on projects that carried over to the morning.

Steve knew better than to try to wake his team up, even if he sometimes thought it was irresponsible to stay in when there was things that needed to be done. Early on, he tried, but it always backfired, ranging from getting a pillow to the face by Maya or Peter, to having to slowly back out of Olivia's room because she reached over to her nightstand to grab a dagger that lay on it.

So, he did his own thing until the first people trickled into the kitchen, lazily grabbing cereal or bacon for breakfast. He'd wake up, meet Sam for a morning run, come back, get breakfast, then read the paper. And Steve was doing just that when an abnormality occurred.

Peter came downstairs with a laptop and a wide smile on his face. Steve was confused as Peter was usually one of the last people to drag his butt out of bed.

"What's the occasion, Peter?" Steve asked.

"I found something this morning while surfing the internet. I wanted you to confirm it's a real thing." Peter said, putting the laptop on the coffee table in front of Steve and Bucky. There was a video loaded up on YouTube, black and white, and extremely poor quality. Peter pressed the space bar to start the video.

"Who's strong and brave here to save the American way?"

"Is that-" Bucky started.

Steve's eyes widened and he suddenly freaked out. He screamed and slammed the laptop closed, handing it to Peter frantically.

"WHERE'D YOU FIND THAT?" Steve yelled at Peter.

"On YouTube." Peter said with a grin. Bucky reached over for the laptop, but Steve smacked his hand away.

"TAKE YOUR TECHNOLOGY BACK! GO DO HOMEWORK OR SOMETHING!" Steve screeched.

"Wait Steve, I wanna see..." Bucky stared.

"BUCKY, NO!" Steve barked at his friend.

"What in Odin's name is going on in here?" Olivia asked from the stairs, clearly just rolled out of bed. Her hair was a mess, not even put up yet, and her pyjamas were all wrinkled from bedwear.

"Steve apparently used to be a performer in the fourties to sell war bonds with show girls." Peter blurted.

"Wait, what the hell?" Bucky asked.

"PARKER!" Steve barked at the teen. "After you went M.I.A. and before the train." He explained begrudgingly to Bucky.

"Oh, I know. I saw one of the shows." Olivia said, smirking and leaning against the door frame.

"You what?" Steve asked.

"Yeah. I think it was one in Boston. Loki and I occasionally went down to Midgard to see new things going on. We heard about the second World War and wanted to see what was going on. When we caught wind that someone called 'Captain America' was going across the country and doing shows, we knew we had to see one. The song was stuck in my head for DAYS. I still have the autograph you signed." Olivia explained, before going back to her room.

She returned with an old piece of paper, slightly yellowed. It was a picture of Steve in a knitted and fabric Captain America suit with a different shield and in a salute and with a smile. On the bottom right corner was a cheesy signature.

"I cannot tell you how many of these I signed." Steve said, looking at the paper. Peter opened the laptop again and put it on the table, looking at Steve pleadingly. He sighed.

"Fine." He said. Peter grinned and pressed play.

"Who will campaign door to door for America? Carry the flag shore to shore for America?"

They finished the video and the reactions were varied. Steve looked a little sick, Bucky had a big smirk on his face, Peter looked like an excited puppy, and Olivia muttered the lyrics and grinned widely.

"I wonder who posted this." Steve asked. Olivia took the laptop and looked at the account that posted the video.

"AgentC-America." She read aloud. Everyone looked a bit confused... Except for Steve.

"That's Agent Coulson's account." He said. Bucky and Olivia burst out laughing.

"I knew he liked Captain America, but holy shit, that's bordering on an obsession." Bucky said, wiping his eyes.

"Oh, you don't know the best part. After New York, before we left for Asgard, some of the lower level agents were cleaning his binders because they still thought he died. I grabbed one and I kid you not, the margins of his papers had doodles of your shield." Olivia said, clutching her gut after passing the laptop back to Peter. Bucky lost it again and Steve rested his head in his hands.

"I even heard that he made 'The Star Spangled Man With a Plan' his ringtone." Peter butt in. There were more laughs and Bucky had tears streaming down his face.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?" Tony screamed, coming up from the basement where he worked. Bucky, Peter, and Olivia stood up, holding the open computer to him like it was a Holy Grail.

"Allow us to enlighten you." Olivia said.

"Noooooooooo........" Steve groaned from the couch. Peter pressed the play button.

"Who's strong and brave here to save the American way?"