Chapter 47

I sprinted to his side and searched his face frantically as one of the paramedics put a restraining hand on my shoulder, forcefully trying to push me back while muttering something, but I didn’t hear it because a blinding, agonising physical pain made me cry out.

Shit!”

Nate put his hand on my left shoulder, his eyes full of worry as he looked at my right arm. I instinctively grabbed my shoulder and then winced. It hurt like hell.

But then the pain vanished as I saw the vibrancy in Nate’s eyes. “Nate?” I choked, ignoring the paramedics as they continued to shuffle around the pair of us. “Are you...? I thought –“

“Okay Miss, you need to be looked at... your arm...”

I looked up at the lady who was beside me, her face grave and serious. I turned my attention back to Nate, who was now facing away from me. He looked like he was trying to bat the other paramedic away.

“I’m fine,” he growled menacingly before turning back to me.

I realised I was just stood there, still grasping my arm as I watched Nate with wide eyes. I just didn’t understand what was going on. Was I dreaming? It felt like it. My whole brain started to go fuzzy as I could no longer hear anything properly, like I was wearing a thick set of ear muffs.

He turned and looked at me, fresh panic returning to his features. “Lola?” I saw his lips move, but I didn’t hear any sound come out. Oh no, was he okay? I couldn’t even comprehend how he managed to get out of that explosion, not that I wasn’t thanking every lucky star possible. I could feel my throat go dry as I continued to stare blankly up at him, looking for any other possible injury, but I couldn’t see anything, he wasn’t even swaying.

I saw his lips move again, but no sound was coming out. All I could hear was the voice inside my head as I numbly asked questions to myself. How could Nate be standing like this?

He patted my uninjured arm, his eyes alight with what looked like unmistakable fear. I felt my heart leap into my throat. What was the matter? What was wrong with him?

I saw the bright light of the interior of another ambulance, parked next to the one that still had the first man that was rescued in. I felt my eyes lock on to him and then strain as I recognised him instantly now I could clearly see his face.

It was... Tim?

I felt my lips move, but I couldn’t hear my own voice. I knew I said his name, it was in my brain – I felt it leave my mouth. But I didn’t hear myself say it.

I saw I was walking towards the second ambulance faster as Tim’s wide-eyed shocked gaze on me had soon disappeared. I was led up into the ambulance and saw myself being sat on the bed.

The two paramedics were in my face in a second, shining bright lights in my eyes. I winced away from them then felt my expression become blank again as they were looking at me, their lips moving.

‘I can’t hear what you’re saying...’

I felt my lips move again, but I couldn’t hear anything. Still, I continued to speak. ‘Why can’t I hear you? What’s happened? Where’s Nathaniel? Where is he? Is he okay?’

Nate came back into my view then, along with Joey and Melody’s strained, panic stricken faces behind him. They all looked stunned... worried, as they crouched down by me, their eyes never leaving my face.

Suddenly, another blistering pain shot up my arm. It appeared my hearing was back at the same time, as a high pitched shriek filled my eardrums but before it scared or confused me, I realised the agonised cry had escaped my lips.