Chapter 31

Two weeks later.

After a rare, relaxing day off – mostly spent in front of the television – I decided to head out and grab a Starbucks.

I found myself checking my phone every five minutes, and practically sulking when I saw I had nothing off Nathaniel. I didn’t know how long it took to get to Philadelphia from Manhattan in a helicopter, but I still hated the fact that I was away from him. I didn’t even know why it was so important he went – then again, I knew I’d never understand the world of business. All I knew was it was a really important business trip, he said it himself. He even asked if I wanted to go with him, but I thought it was best if I didn’t. I didn’t want to interfere or get in the way. Plus, it’s not like it was an overnight stay or anything. I’d still see him tonight.

I’ve seen him in his office on the rare occasion, it’s like he’s a completely different person when he’s working. His face, deep in concentration and professional, not to mention the way he speaks to people. Sheesh.

But he was mine. Just the thought sent an increasingly stronger warm glow through my body. I couldn’t believe how lucky I was.

I smiled and clutched the necklace he gave me for my birthday. Just looking at it was an immediate reminder of him – the exact colour of those sparkling depthless eyes. It comforted me like a safety blanket.

I checked my watch which read 3:15. He was due back at 8pm, so it gave me a little spirit. I was still cursing the fact that my one and only day off was the day he was out of town, so the day seemed to go a lot slower than it normally would.

Slow days like these made me miss the people closest to me, especially Liv and Joey. I smiled as I remembered her telling me how her tour went with Jacob – he’d stayed with her the whole time, then took her to the site where they were building and gave her a tour of his own. Not only that, he invited her to dinner that night, and things seemed to take off from there.

They were currently in Bermuda together, she rang me last week and told me he’d surprised her with a visit. Things seemed to be moving fast for them two, but Liv definitely wasn’t complaining. They’d completely hit it off, I was happy for them. Even Nathaniel seemed pleased about it, which was nice. He wasn’t one to give off a lot of emotion, and he was still his anti-cuddling self.

I grabbed my bag and keys from the hallway and made my way out.

I reached his car park and my body instantly warmed when I spotted my Ferrari in its usual space, next to Nathaniel’s Lamborghini. I couldn’t keep the smile off my face as I unlocked the car and got in.

The same jittery excitement coursed through me as the sound of the engine hit my eardrums when I started the ignition. I don’t know why I didn’t think of going out in this before, it definitely cheered me up.

And then I realised; he asked me not to go anywhere.

I shook my head as the car eased towards the gates. Why did he ask me not to go out, anyway? Not that I had anything in particular planned, but still.

I approached the gates, waiting for them to open like they usually did, but nothing happened. I frowned as I had to stop the car before I actually hit them. Why weren’t the gates opening? Was something wrong with them?

I stayed sat there, staring at the gates, wondering what to do when a small tap on my window nearly made me jump. I looked to the side to see Alan, one of Nathaniel’s building security men stood by the window.

I put the window down and frowned up at him, but glad he was here. Maybe he’d know what was wrong with the gates.

“Hey Alan,” I mused, “what’s wrong with the gates? I can’t get out.”