Chapter 32

I realised I’d frozen on the second to last step since seeing the figure. I didn’t know whether I should feel frightened or confused. Nathaniel or Jenks didn’t tell me we were expecting anybody, and it’s not exactly like Nathaniel to forget. But I got a really good look at the woman who had risen from the sofa the second we’d locked eye contact.

My first, and as of late familiar thought to this person was she was beautiful. She was dressed impeccably in high-waisted black trousers with a ruffled white shirt tucked into it, along with killer black heels. She was blonde, but unnaturally blonde, her poker straight hair falling way passed her shoulders. I could see from here she was quite exotic looking, with olive toned skin but khaki green eyes.

There was also quite a knowing smirk on her face, even if it was only a hint, I didn’t miss it. But I remained stood where I was, frozen. I couldn’t even begin to run through the questions that were desperately trying to flick through my mind.

She cleared her throat and raised her head, almost arrogantly. It was if she was prompting me to come forward. Who was she, the Queen? All I could think to myself was, as far as first impressions go, I wasn’t getting a good vibe from this one.

As soon as the shock of this woman’s appearance finally started to fade, I found my feet again. I was still unable to form any conscious thoughts or questions because my head still felt a little numb with confused shock, but I approached her warily anyway.

I don’t know what it was, maybe it was territorial? I had no idea why this woman was here, but it seemed I was eager to find out. “Er, can I help you?”

The lady raised her eyebrows a fraction for a split second, maybe in... surprise? “Oh,” she said, a little too enthusiastically, “she speaks?”

I blinked in response. “Excuse me?”

She shook her head and laughed – a laugh I wasn’t entirely comfortable with. It was almost a cackle, a menacing sound. It wasn’t warm at all, and definitely not genuine. Who was this woman? Why was she here? I took it Nathaniel knew her... well, I sincerely hope so, otherwise I really would have a problem right now. “I’m just playing with you sweetling, Nathaniel’s play things are usually rather timid.”

If I thought I was shocked before, that was nothing compared to now. I wouldn’t say this woman intimidated me, but I kinda got the vibe she was trying to.

I ignored that obvious jibe that was thrown at me for whatever reason. “Is Nathaniel expecting you?”

She laughed again. That same laugh, and the sound of it already irritated me. “You could say that.” Her eyes flashed wickedly as she grinned. “You’re Lola, Lola Rose?” She smiled far too sweetly, showing a clear trace of sarcastic rudeness. She made no effort to conceal her impoliteness, that’s for sure. But another thing to add to my list of confusion was why she was being so unnecessarily impertinent.

I felt extremely awkward and confused. And I could tell that was because it was my natural reaction not to back down to the presence of this woman. I could tell just by looking at her she’d come from some sort of privileged background. I had absolutely no idea who she was, but I doubted she was just your average hard working American citizen.

“Nathaniel’s out of town on business, he won’t be back for another few hours yet. So if there’s nothing I can help you with...” My voice remained polite, but I didn’t hesitate to add that hint in at the end.

Her lip curled into a bitter looking smirk as she stepped closer. “Well, Lola Rose, maybe you and I can kill some time while I wait for him?”

I didn’t like the sound of that at all. I didn’t want to sound rude, but I really didn’t want to be in this woman’s company too much longer. Only one suitable thing came to my mind. “I’m sorry, but I wasn’t expecting any visitors. I have work to do.” I made my way over to the kitchen area, getting a glass of water. “Would you like one?” I asked, not forgetting my manners, which made one of us.