Chapter 34

I awoke feeling an immediate pang of unease. I didn’t even have that tranquil first few seconds of contentment when you just wake up, not remembering any of the events from the night before. It’s as if I’d felt like this all night, but that wouldn’t surprise me.

I breathed deeply, and then realised there was something warm resting on my stomach. I looked to the side to see I wasn’t in bed alone – it was still dark outside, I could only see an outline of the person sleeping beside me, but I recognosed Nathaniel in an instant.

I still felt emotionless – I didn’t know what to think. Seeing Nathaniel in bed next to me was the last thing I expected.

I had no idea what time it was, and my phone was in my bag in the main room. I slowly, gently removed Nathaniel’s hand off me without jostling him and sat up, looking around the room. I spied Nathaniel’s iPhone on the bedside table next to him, so slowly reached over him and pressed the home button to check the time.

My breath caught in my throat when I saw his phone wallpaper. It was my face. It was the black and white promotional picture from my Nike photoshoot. I quietly exhaled a deep breath and rubbed my eyes, before putting my head in my hands. It was just gone 5am.

I slowly got out of bed and entered the bathroom, closing the door quietly behind me. After I’d emptied my bladder, I took extra time washing my face and brushing my teeth, before staring at my reflection in the mirror.

The bright bathroom lights made me look like a ghost. My hair was all over the place, and I had enormous bags under my exhausted looking eyes. My complexion had a grey twinge to it.

After a few deep breaths, I dragged my feet back towards the bedroom. I’d left the bathroom light on and the door open as I re entered, and I found the bed was completely empty. In the same second, I heard the bedroom door open.

Nathaniel stepped in with a large mug in his hands. I could see his face clearly as the bathroom light shone on his face. He looked terrified.

“I brought you this,” he said, his voice slack and monotone. He lifted the mug towards me.

I took it wordlessly, unable to take my eyes off his. I had no idea how I was feeling right now – though the long hours it had taken me to fall asleep yesterday were quite frankly some of the worst of my life.

Remembering that reminded me why I now felt dead and empty inside.

He stayed where he was, his eyes wide and sincere. After a short silence, he spoke. “I owe you an apology.”

As if his words magically unlocked my muscles, I turned towards the bed and got back in, flicking the bedside light on.

He didn’t follow me, his eyes looked wary. They never left mine.

I took a welcome sip of my tea. I could feel it as the hot liquid trickled down my throat, warming me. It was just what I needed.

He walked forward and sat on the bed in front of me. His whole demeanour was heavily guarded. It was as if he expected me to rip his head off any moment. “I talked to Jenks,” he said quietly.

I watched him, waiting for him to continue.

“He told me what really happened between you and Leticia. He’d been listening the whole time.”

Out of nowhere, I felt an overwhelming surge of relief inhabit my lifeless body. I took the biggest breath yet as I relished in it. That moment was only short lived, as my mood took a sour tone.

I took a large gulp of tea, and then glared at him. “So it took you asking Jenks what really happened for you to finally believe me?” My voice was cold and accusatory. I couldn’t help the venom that seeped out.