Chapter 12

[picture of Jacob on the side]

Nathaniel Hart’s piercing violet blue eyes gazed down at me. He put his hand on my shoulder as he scrutinised my face, his own full of wide-eyed concern. “Are you okay?”

My body heated from his touch and I felt my legs shake. Not because of what just happened, I was already forgetting. But because his hand simply rested on my shoulder.

“I’m fine.”

“Let’s get you away from here.” He said in a raised voice so I could hear him better, and I felt myself being ushered through the crowded dance floor. When we were finally away from the drunken dancers, I shrugged the hand off my shoulder and grabbed Tanya’s arm to lead her outside without looking back.

It felt nice when the cool air whipped at my face, and I felt instantly better being out of the stuffy environment. Nathaniel and the other guy from the dance floor followed out of the door and straight to me. I stepped back when he reached me. The guy he was with was about 6’, slightly shorter than Nathaniel. He had short, perfectly styled black hair and blue-grey eyes, the shocking shape of Nathaniel’s. Was this his brother? He was gorgeous. He was dressed casually in blue jeans and a leather jacket, with a dark top underneath. I’d never seen him before.

“Are you okay?” Nathaniel’s voice was full of concern, but I didn’t need it. I was fine.

“I’m fine.” I said again.

Stupidly, I lifted my gaze to meet his, and his tantalizing eyes smouldered into mine, they were so full of emotion. My heart staggered and my stomach knotted. There was no way this could be happening. There was no way the man stood in front of me was Mr Violet. It can’t be.

          Tanya spoke then and I felt saved, as I had a cue to pull my eyes away from his.

          “Where were those men taken? Where are they?”

          A dark smirk ghosted Nathaniel’s serious face. “They would have been taken out the back. They’re taken care of.” He turned back to me. “Are you sure you’re alright?”

 “What are you doing here?” Again I tried to sound firm, but it just wasn’t happening.

He raised his eyebrows with annoyed amusement, and I immediately felt like a misbehaving child. “I told you, I lived in New York, remember? What are you doing here?”

I scowled and ignored him. I had no idea what to say or what to do, I was torn. Part of me wanted to go, but the other part wanted to stay. I prayed I could hold on to my strength. He turned back to his friend... or brother.

“Jacob, could you take Lola’s friend here back to where she’s staying?”

My face dropped and I glanced at Tanya quickly, but she didn’t return my gaze. Instead, she looked at the man Nathaniel had just addressed as Jacob, her face all lit up. Oh, for crying out loud Tanya!

I looked away from her and back to those violet-blue eyes. The eyes I was told I’d never see again, the eyes I thought I’d never see again.

“That won’t be necessary,” I tried to sound authoritive but to my annoyance, it didn’t come out that way. I was still too stunned. “We were leaving anyway. We’re up early tomorrow morning.”

I was still angry at my body’s natural reaction to Nathaniel’s touch, because my head was extremely pissed at him, despite anything else I was feeling. Of course, I was more than grateful he’d come to my rescue but that was all. I’d suddenly felt embarrassed about the whole situation.