Chapter 35

I hadn't seen Nathaniel for the rest of the day, he'd gone straight to work after he'd spoken to Jacob. I regretted ignoring him like that the second he left the room - it was never a good idea to push his buttons, now he's going to be in a mood for ages.

When 11am came, Melody rang. I was sat on my own in the tv room so answered gratefully.

"Hey Mel!" I greeted cheerfully.

"Hey! Sorry this is a later call."

"Don't worry about it." I said, grinning.

"Well, the reason it's so late is because your schedule's now booming again. There's a GB vs The World match in talks - it's a charity event, and of course it's field hockey. It's going to be televised all over the world - hockey has really become popular thanks to the Olympics and of course, yours truly. GB want you to participate, and it's going to be going ahead next month."

I squealed with delight. "Really! Oh my god! YES!"

Melody giggled down the line. "I knew you'd react like that! Okay, I'll tell them you'll do it. It's two weeks today, alright?"

"Yup, where is it?"

She paused, but I could almost hear her grinning. "It's going to be in... MANCHESTER!"

I screamed full force, then cupped my hand over my mouth. Whoops. "What, I don't believe it! Wow, I've missed Manchester so much!" I squealed excitedly.

Just then, the door flew open and Jenks came flying in, his right hand slipped inside the left breast of his jacket. His eyes darted across to room and finally rested on me, sat on the sofa with wide eyes, frozen in mid-victory dance with my phone still clutched to my ear.

He huffed out a long, silent breath and looked me over. "Is everything okay, Miss Summers?"

I sat up and looked at him sheepishly. "Everything's fine?" I cleared my throat as I muttered quietly for Melody to hold on a minute. "I'm sorry, I got a little excited."

"My apologies for disturbing you."

He exited the room swiftly, and I shook my head at myself. Whoops.

Melody giggled quietly down the line. "Er, that's all I need to report for now. I'll tell them you're up for it then get back to you when we've sorted everything out, okay? Bearing in mind, you're going to be very busy again, starting tomorrow. You'll also have to leave New York in the next week or so to start training."

I grinned. "That's fine by me. I'll speak to you later."

"Bye!"

I disconnected the call, then not a second later Nathaniel's caller ID flashed on the screen.

"Hello?"

"Is everything okay?"

I frowned. "Yeah, why?"

"Do you mind not screaming the apartment down and scaring my staff to death? Thank you."

He hung up. Wow, that was rude. And, he was still seriously pissed off. Great.

~

Dinner that evening was awkward. Nathaniel had returned from work as Nuala and I were in the kitchen, with dinner just about to be served.

He sat down next to me without even a word, and ignored me as he ate, even when I'd asked him questions.

I quickly realised this was his own way of revenge - and I definitely deserved it. I realised this was probably how he felt this morning.