Chapter 33

I wanted to get as far away from that woman as I possibly could, so walked straight through the archway and up to Nathaniel’s bedroom, straight through the glass door and up to the edge of the balcony. All I could use to describe that little situation back there was mind-fuck. Honestly, nothing can surprise me anymore. Trust Nathaniel to have the most mind-boggling ex ever... I should have predicted it. That woman was absolutely vile.

I huffed out an exasperated breath. I shook my head and tried to shake all thoughts, worries, confusion and anger away and focus on the spectacular view ahead. I felt myself relax as I finally started to see it, and absorbed the beauty as all my anxieties were pushed back, for the time being.

I went in to the bathroom and began running a bath, that’d help with the stress. It killed time while he was downstairs with that woman, plus I knew he’d have a lot to say to me about leaving the apartment. When the bath was ready, I stripped off and got in, feeling my tense muscles relax as the hot water hit my skin.

I was trying not to dwell on what Leticia said, but in ways I couldn’t help it. I was feeling slightly paranoid that she might say something to Nathaniel – she definitely seemed the caniving type. Then again, she didn’t mention anything when Nathaniel walked in. Did I say anything about it to him when we were alone? I was unsure.

After a good soak, I took my time lathering my hair and body, and leaving a thick amount of conditioner conditioning my hair as I shaved my already smooth legs to perfection.

When I was out of the bath, I left my damp hair to dry naturally as I made my way to the great room. The room was empty when I went in, so I continued towards the west wing to his office.

I reached the door to Nathaniel’s office and knocked, then opened the door, peaking my head and shoulders into the room. He was sat at his desk using his computer, for once not on the phone. I was relieved to see he was alone, grinning effortlessly at him, all the events of today now forgotten.

“Hey,” I said brightly, my grin widening.

He looked at me, his face completely emotionless, before turning back to his computer screen. Damn it, he was still pissed.

I sighed and walked into the room, closing the door quietly behind me. I decided to let bygones be bygones and apologise for going against his word earlier. It had been a pretty shitty day, and I missed him.

“I understand you’re angry at me, and I just wanted to apologise. I’m sorry I left the apartment.”

He looked back at me again, this time unconcealed anger on his features. He gave me a dirty look and continued with his work.

I felt a little shocked. I didn’t expect that reaction, especially if I came in here waving my white flag. Something was definitely up.

My stomach dropped as I realised what the problem may well be. Maybe Leticia had said something, after all. What else could it be to have made him look at me that way? Or was he even angrier about me leaving the apartment than I thought?

“What’s the matter?” I asked , walking further into the room and perching myself lightly on the end of his desk.

He pressed a key on his keypad with unnecessary force and then turned to me, leaning back on his chair. His face was like thunder. I looked into his eyes, seeing what I couldn’t mistake as disappointment.

“I have nothing to say to you, Lola Rose.” His tone was low and clear. My stomach dropped again, more forcefully this time.

“Why?” I asked in a small voice.

He tutted loudly, giving me another filthy look. I didn’t like the way he was looking at me, it was causing tight knots in my stomach.

“You put yourself in danger by going out on your own, especially after doing the opposite of what I asked. Then you’re rude to a good friend of mine. Even though I’m more financially stable than Miss Lee’s father, he’s a good business partner. I’d rather you didn’t treat her that way in my house.” He spat venomously.