Chapter 45

I awoke feeling perfectly content.

The sun was shining brightly outside, lighting up the room completely.

It took only a second to realise where I was, and to identify the strong arms wrapped around me were Nathaniel’s. The whole room was silent except for his slow breathing, and I slowly, gently turned my body to face him without jostling him.

I turned to see him facing me, fast asleep. This was the first time I’d ever seen him asleep, and I’d never woke up to the feel of his arms wrapped around me before. It was the best feeling in the world.

But it wasn’t. The best feeling in the world was looking into his eyes as he told me he loved me. I stilled as I tried to determine whether what happened after I woke up last night was a dream or not, but it didn’t take long to know it did indeed happen, and a wide grin spread across my face as I watched his peaceful expression.

All the lines of anxiety that were present yesterday were gone completely, he looked so much younger when he was relaxed. He stirred and breathed deeply, tightening his hold around me as his hand rubbed lightly down my back. He let out a long breath and smiled slightly, making me smile back.

I continued to watch his perfect, sleeping face for a few minutes before deciding to give him a soft kiss on his marginally parted lips. The feel of them warmed my chest contently, and he stirred again as he took another deep breath.

This time, his eyes opened a fraction and the smile I was met with was dazzling.

“Good morning,” he said in a sexy, deep, husky voice.

“Good morning,” I said back, snuggling into his chest.

I closed my eyes again and smiled freely, welcoming the ecstasy I felt all over. A lot of things started to make sense, like what Melody had told me at lunch yesterday, the steps he took to protect my family and me, the reason he came here in the first place.

It was because he loved me, and I loved him more than words can describe.

He was mine. Nathaniel was mine again. I had a second chance, but this one was so much more perfect than the first.

Or if I really thought about it, a third chance. It was if fate really was on our side, and I remembered Nathaniel saying that yesterday. Now I understood exactly what he meant.

“What time is it?” I asked, stretching.

I saw the rise and drop of his shoulders. I grinned and propped myself up on my elbow, resting my palm on my face as I watched him. His eyes were closed again, but I could tell by his breathing he was awake.

He inhaled a sharp intake of breath and opened his eyes wider this time, finally starting to wake up. I couldn’t help but grin widely down at him. This beautiful, perfect, frustrating man.

“I’m sorry for calling you a jackass,” I said quietly, taking in every inch of his face.

His grin widened. “I was a jackass, I should have told you sooner...” he trailed off, but I knew what he was talking about. He should have told me sooner, then I wouldn’t have had that little outburst in the car because of the mixed signals.

“How much trouble am I in?” he smiled, his eyes twinkling brightly.

I cocked an eyebrow. “It depends what you’re talking about.” I teased.

He chuckled once. “Is there a list?”

I shook my head, grinning. “More like a book.”

“Ouch,” he faked a wince. “Am I really that complicated?”