Chapter 4

[Picture of Joey on the side]

I put down my pen and stretched my fingers out, bending and straightening them. I felt my shoulders relax profusely as the weight of the world left them. I was done, my final ever university exam was finished. Two and a half hours long, but I felt pretty confident. I’d worked my butt off.

Not even a minute later, the exam invigilator signalled for everyone to stop writing. I took a glance around the exam hall to see a mix of emotions. There were some already with their pens down, holding a similar relief swept expression to mine, some were grinning, but some still had their heads down in front of their papers, scribbling frantically.

When I was finally allowed to leave my seat, I walked over to my things quickly and pulled my phone straight out. I had a few ‘good luck’ texts from Liv, Grant, Joey and other friends. And none from him. I sighed.

I hadn’t heard from Mr Hart since Saturday. To be honest it was to be expected. There wouldn’t be any reason for him to text me. Luckily, the exam preparation I’d planned for myself distracted me sufficiently. There is no way I’d ever text him anyway – it was probably already obvious I was besotted by him. I just hated the thought I was never going to see him again.

But he said it, a small voice in my head argued. Until the next time. That had to be something.

I hoped that was true. I don’t know what I’d do if I found out I’d never see him again. I really was in too deep.

But I knew I was being silly. He was far, far too good for me. Wow, the truth really does hurt sometimes.

I picked my bag up and walked out of the exam hall, I wasn’t really in the mood to be sociable. Still – we had prom in a couple of weeks and of course, there was graduation. I could be sociable then. It didn’t look like I was going to make prom at first, as I’d planned another visit to see my parents, but when I passed the application stage for the police, I had to hold it off because I didn’t know if it would clash with my interview date.

But at least my parents would be back next month for graduation. I couldn’t wait. I’d just have to go out there to see them in September when the summer rush is over at the airport. There’s no way I’d be able to have a holiday in July or August.

As I made my way out the building, I heard my name being called in the distance from behind me.

“Lola! Wait up!”

I turned around to see Jay from my course was rushing towards me from the exam hall. I stopped and moved to the side so I was out of everyone’s way.

“Hey.” He said breathlessly when he reached me.

“Hey.” I smiled politely.

All of a sudden, he started to look uncomfortable. He lifted his arm to the back of his neck and looked away. “Er, you’re going to prom now, aren’t you?”

I blinked at the unexpected question. “Yeah.” I suddenly started to feel a little stupid, as I remember the day I sulked to everyone I couldn’t go. Now it turns out I am. It’s probably made me look like an idiot.

“Well er, seeing as though you’re going... I wondered if –“

“Hey!”

There was a loud voice coming from my right, and I noticed Matt from Liv’s course come running towards us. I knew him a bit, and he was Jay’s friend. I was thankful for my cue to leave. I needed to get home so I could go for a run.

He was panting by the time he reached us. I took a small step away from them both as I prepared to leave. I know it looked rude, but I felt uncomfortable and impatient at the same time, like when you get stopped in a mall or shopping centre by a random person trying to sell you something, or asking you to fill out a questionnaire or survey or sign up for something. You don’t want to be rude, but you don’t want to be there at the same time.