Chapter 29

was surprised at how fast I was able to close the distance between us in these killer heels. I slammed into her, nearly knocking us both over as we embraced in the tightest, longest, most emotional hug I’d ever had.

I don’t know how long I stood there silently with my eyes tightly closed, but after a while I began to hear soft sobbing coming from her.

I pulled away and looked at her face. “What’s the matter?”

Her eyes were watery but her grin was wide. “I’ve just missed you so much.”

I grinned slightly and hugged her again. “Sorry.” My gaze flitted to Nathaniel, who was stood next to his brother with his hands in his pockets, grinning. I smiled at him then closed my eyes as I absorbed the fact that my best friend in the whole world was actually here.

We pulled out of the hug at the same time. “I thought you were in South America? That’s what you told me this morning on the phone...?”

She grinned. “I was. I mean well, I was leaving England tomorrow. But Nathaniel rang me and, well...”

“Tell me later,” I grinned, taking her hand. “I want you to meet him. Properly.” I said more quietly just to her, an ear splitting grin spreading across my face.

She looked at me and marvelled, then her eyes started to get watery again. This so wasn’t like Liv! She shook her head at my questioning look and composed herself. “Later.” She muttered to me before finally turning her attention to the two men in the room, her hand still tightly in mine.

I took a deep breath and turned to face them myself as I felt Liv tighten beside me. I pushed both of us forward towards Nathaniel and Jacob, my eyes never leaving those twinkling violet-blue. He was grinning at me, the grin so full of emotion I knew I’d be teary if it was possible. I cleared my throat as they met us half way.

“Nathaniel, this is Liv, though you already know that.” I grinned as they shook hands.

“Hi.” He said in his charming, husky voice.

“Hi.” She muttered back quietly.

He put his hand on his brother’s shoulder. “Olive, this is my brother, Jacob.”

I glanced at Liv as her eyes widened. I knew what that meant – nobody made Liv do that. This was going to be interesting.

“Olive.” Jacob held out his hand and Liv took it strongly, which I was glad of. I noticed Jacob’s eyes twinkled as he grinned at her, making him look completely, undeniably gorgeous. This really was going to be interesting.

 ~

Liv was the last person to finish her green pea soup starter because she hadn’t stopped talking since we were seated. She didn’t seem fazed we had rather gorgeous company as she filled me in on what I’d missed back home. Apparently Grant missed me like crazy, which I knew as he was still asking me the daily ‘when are you home’ question. I missed him too, but I always thought I would be returning after the two weeks were up. I felt genuinely shocked when Liv told me he now had a girlfriend.

 “Seriously?” I asked in a high pitched, sceptical voice.

“Yes! She’s called Eve, she’s really nice.”

“Where did they meet – how come Grant didn’t tell me about this?”

She laughed. “He wanted to tell you when you came back, so you could meet her. And, er... they met on a night out.” She gave me a knowing grin which I returned. She didn’t need to say any more than that. I could just imagine Grant’s absolute swag on a night out, seeing someone who actually fully grabbed his attention.