Baking Cookies

9/29/19

He'd been too focused on his work to really notice before, but Yusei once he reached a nice spot to take a break at the next day the smell of some sort of baked good sharply hit his senses as he became aware of it - he couldn't make out exactly what kind, but then again it didn't really matter to him because it smelled damn good no matter what it ended up belonging to.

It almost made him feel a little sleepy to be honest, mainly because of the warmth coming out of the kitchen alongside it. If he hadn't already known it was autumn, the oven being used would've been one of the biggest clues he'd ever gotten in his life that the seasons had changed.

He yawned a tiny bit as he stood up and stretched lazily after making sure everything had saved, then made his way over to the kitchen, peeking in and smiling at the sight that greeted him - Judai had actually ended up tying his hair back like what they'd talked about before so he wouldn't get his hair in the food, and it was just as cute as Yusei had imagined it would be. Very different, of course, because it meant his hair was tamed down and back for once save for parts of his bangs, but it was still very cute.

Judging from the supplies scattered across the counter, he determined that Judai had capitalized on what they'd talked about yesterday and just started baking to his heart's content. There were Halloween themed coloring and icing in one corner by some cooling racks, some already decorated cookies sitting on one section while a lot more undecorated ones sat on another, and the light was on in the oven to show two racks of baking cookies; they were the good cookies too, the thick and crumbly kind that were usually more expensive and found at bakeries more than at the store (even if he couldn't tell exactly what kind they were). Over where Judai had his back to him, he was working on mixing another batch of dough up, kneading all the ingredients together with a focused look that Yusei took a moment to grin at because it was just so adorable.

He came up behind him since Judai hadn't noticed him come in yet, focused as he was, and wrapped his arms around his waist while resting his head on top on top of the other's - he grinned as it elicited a startled squeak of surprise from the other, who couldn't really do much because of his hands being covered in flour and dough.

"Y-Yusei!" Judai stuttered, trying his best to look at him but not being able to due to the position, "When did you get here?"

"Just now," Yusei hummed, letting his head slide down so he could kiss him on the cheek, "What'cha making? It smells really good."

"Cinnamon sugar cookies," Judai replied, mumbling slightly as he was distracted by doing his best to turn his head and kiss him back. He grinned in triumph once he managed to, going back to kneading the dough he had in front of him but slightly slower than before, continuing, "Was going to do something more autumn-y, but... we don't have the stuff for pumpkin spice and I didn't feel like running out and getting it."

"We need to go shopping anyway, just make sure to add it to the list along with whatever else you want to make," Yusei stated, slumping forward a little and pushing Judai forward into the counter.

"Yusei, I can't exactly do anything like this," Judai huffed, letting out a little 'oof' as he did his best to push him back up but to no avail, "Yus, dear, I will put these flour and egg covered hands all over you if you don't get up."

"Okay okay," Yusei conceded, all for the sake of his hoodie staying clean, "But... can I have one of the finished ones or are they off-limits?"

"Of course you can have one, in fact you can help me decorate later," Judai said, chuckling a little when he eagerly let go to go pick out a cookie, "We can see who can draw a better icing Kuriboh."

Yusei was too busy taking a bite out of the cookie he'd picked up - one with a bunch of little bats iced onto it - to respond, especially when the flavor of it hit his tongue and he hummed in appreciation, "These're good."

"Why thank you-"

"Almost as sweet as you, I'd say."

Yusei snickered when Judai went to swat at his arm and then stopped himself with a pouty frown just before touching him because of his dirty hands, then smiled wildly when he shoved the cookie into the other's mouth to make him take a bite as well and Judai struggled not to smile back at him.