fifty three

Mason sat bundled between her covers, wiping stray tears from her eyes as she stared the the laptop screen

Mason sat bundled between her covers, wiping stray tears from her eyes as she stared the the laptop screen. Her heart ached at what was displayed on screen and she sighed into her pillows.

The only light in the room stemmed from her computer. The outside city lights couldn't break through the thick curtains and her door was shut tightly.

That was until there was a knock on her bedroom door. Her eyes tore from the screen and she glanced at the door. "Come in."

Light streamed through the door and she grimaced, grunting in protest. "Bruh." She mumbled.

"Hey, Mason." The door closed behind him.

"Hey, baby."

Sebastian rolled his eyes as he looked around the dark room. "Why are you lying in the dark?"

"I like the dark. It soothes me." The side of the bed dipped down and she heard his shoes being tossed aside. "How was your meeting?" She sniffled.

"Too long. Just about the press tour for Civil War. How was your day? Wait, are you crying?"

Mason half laughed and wiped her eyes again. "No. Well, yes. Kind of."

"What do you mean, kind of?"

"Well I was watching this and it just, it just attacked me. I couldn't help but cry." Mason pouted and pointed to the screen.

"Are you watching that burger show?"

"Don't be fucking rude." Mason swatted at him. Then she laughed. "Yes, I am, Bassy. Come lie down with me."

He chuckled before he took off his jacket and moved to lie down next to her. She immediately moved, setting the laptop down on his lap and cuddling to his side; practically clinging to him.

"You feeling alright?"

"Yes but I will be very honest and say that I have not received enough of your attention today." Her voice was muffled as she buried her face in his chest. "You should spend the night. We can watch Bob's Burgers. Oh, please, please, please? You can finally see the beauty of my favorite show?" Mason begged.

Sebastian smiled at Mason; how could he not? He had spent months wishing for this very moment. He had longed to call Mason his and now they were together. It was everything he had wanted since he first met her.

"I suppose I could spend the night." His lips pressed against the top of her head for a moment. "I haven't eaten dinner yet, are you hungry?" He waited carefully for her to answer.

Mason hesitated for a second; thinking of the last time she had eaten. It was yesterday morning. She licked her lips and slowly nodded. "Yeah, a little."

Sebastian nodded, forcing him not to smile in relief. "What do you want to eat then? I can run out and get it."

At that, Mason protested. She wrapped her arm tightly around his middle and brought her leg over his. "No, no. You're staying here. I'll have Johnny go get food."

"So needy today." Sebastian playfully mocked her.

Mason rolled her eyes and pressed the space bar on her laptop. "Shut up. My future husband is speaking."

***

A half eaten sandwich sat on Mason's lap, little pieces of lettuce scattered around her legs and on the blanket underneath her. Her fingers played with the ends of the bread, her mind too focused on the story that she was telling Sebastian.

"Anyway, so I must have been around fifteen? James and I decided it would be a good idea to buy plane tickets and jet off to Hawaii during our shows break."

"What did your mom do?"

"She grounded me for two months. School, work, my room. That was it." Mason laughed. "We were only there a day and a half before she had us come back. It was... well, it wasn't the stupidest thing I had ever done but it's up there."

Sebastian smiled. "What was the stupidest thing you'd ever done?"

Mason groaned loudly at the question and then took a sip of her water. "Okay. It's a toss up. They aren't exactly... good things." She started to laugh. "The first was when Miley and I, a long time ago, got arrested in Los Vegas. And the second was when I did edibles at Coachella and somehow woke up in Mexico?"

"Wait, you were arrested?"

Mason laughed loudly. "That's the part you're stuck on? Yes, I was. But the cops dropped the charges, they had no evidence it was us."

"What was 'us'?"

"Oh baby, you don't get to know that part yet." She leaned over and pressed her lips to his. When she pulled away, she spoke. "You'll find out eventually."

Sebastian rolled his eyes and leaned back against the pillow. With his hand outstretched, he ran his fingers along the curve of Mason's knee. "What are your plans for the holidays?"

"Oh, just the same as always." Mason said as she wrapped the left over sandwich in the wax paper and set it again. She then moved, falling into his side. "Family party for thanksgiving, smaller Christmas one, even bigger New Years. What about you?"

"Pretty much the same."

Mason wanted to invite him to the New Year's Eve party her family always held, but she couldn't find the words. They had only been officially dating for other a month now; how could she even attempt at asking him without sounding weird or obsessive?

So she stayed quiet, hoping she'd find the time later on.