Twenty-Three

Declan paced up and down the hallway nervously. Why, oh why had he planned to propose at dinner? He had never been much of a public speaker, but that wasn't what he was most worried about. After all, he was surrounded by his comarades and friends. He was anxious about proposing in front of his future father-in-law who already didn't like him.

   How much further would he scrutinize the proposal? Declan stood before the big oak doors that led to the dining room. He took a deep breath and was about to push the doors open when a sturdy hand was laid upon his shoulder. He gave a start.

   "Sorry for scaring you." It was Daisy's cousin, Andrew. "Listen, Declan. I'm your age and I proposed and got married months ago. This isn't the biggest challenge you will face. This is just the beginning. My wife is...pregnant. I'm terrified. I don't necessarily believe that I'll be a good father.

   "You're going to be fine. And whatever challenges you face after this, you will face together. Congratulations, Declan." Andrew shook his hand and pushed open the oak doors. Declan followed.

   The table was set and all of the occupants of the household looked expectantly at O'Connor. He gulped as he slid into a seat next to Tom. He was right across the table from Daisy who looked inconsolable. She stole a glance at her boyfriend every chance she got and sent a look of distaste and rage towards her father still more often.

   Declan looked around the table and he felt sick as all of the parties privy to the information that he was proposing (which was everyone but Daisy and his aunt) looked at him every few moments, urging him to get on with it.

   Tom leaned over and whispered to Declan, "Just do it, O'Connor."

   Declan stood up abruptly and walked awkwardly over to Daisy. "Uh, Daisy, love?"

   She looked up at him, tears in her eyes. For a moment he imagined that she hated the sight of him, but then he remembered that she longed to be with him. He cleared his throat; It was dry and scratchy.

   "Daisy, love," he lowered himself onto one knee and took her hands in his, "I love you and want to marry you. Will you marry me?"

   Daisy breathlessly turned to her father and stood up. "Papa? What is going on? Have you...given permission?"

   Tony, who looked old and tired nodded, his mouth revealing a small smile. Daisy smiled back and said, "Oh, thank you!"

   Declan smiled with glee and said to Daisy, "Will you become Mrs. O'Connor, Miss Bellevue?"

   "Yes." Everyone cheered and congratulated the couple as they kissed. After dinner was over, a small party started in one of the drawing rooms. Daisy and Declan sat hand in hand while Hancock and Sir McDonald shared anecdotes with them about their parents' awful marriages.

   Smith was in deep conversation with Andrew. Toulouse sat in the corner with a drink in hand. Tom approached the sour Frenchman.

   "Doing alright, Henri?"

   The man rolled his eyes. "You're still woefully incompetent, Brooks."

   "Yes, yes, I know." Tom smiled.

   "Although," Toulouse started and Tom raised an eyebrow, "you have quite impressively pulled this motley crew together."

   "Thank you."

   "I said it because it's true...Group Captain." As he began to walk away he said good-naturedly, "Wipe that smirk off your face."

   Tom smiled to himself. Maybe Toulouse wasn't so bad after all. A stray thought crossed Tom's mind and changed his mood in an instant. The letter from Whitehall remained unopened in his pocket. He stuck his hand into his jacket and fingered the letter lightly.

   His hand began to shake and he quickly removed it. He needed to open it now. His fear would never subside if he continued like this. He glanced once more over the room's occupants and slipped quietly out of the room.

   He found his way out onto a small, discreet balcony and pulled out the letter with shaking breath and hands.

   "Now or never, Brooks." He slid the letter out of the envelope and read the orders:

'Group Captain Brooks:

The three men assigned to the April Mission are as follows: Thomas Brooks'

   Tom sighed. He had expected this. The next name...

'Henri Toulouse'

   Henri would be glad to fly again. It had been weeks. But was Andrew on the list? Tom glanced at the last name and felt a mixture of shame and relief: it wasn't Andrew, it was Declan. Tomorrow at midnight they would be off and Tom felt terrified.

   Just then Andrew came out onto the porch. "Dad? Everything ok? Want a drink?" He extended a glass of a dark-coloured liquid.

   "Give it here." He took the cup and downed the powerful stuff in a few seconds.

   "That bad, eh?"

   "Yes. That bad. The April Mission is tomorrow and it's dangerous and Declan and Toulouse and I are all assigned to it."

   "Oh. Well, be safe Dad, won't you?"

   "I'll try, but right I need a cigarette badly."

   "I don't have any. Don't you?"

   "Eh..not really. Your mother and I quit quite a while back."

   "Wait. So the whole thing on the night of my engagement was just a ruse?"

   "Something like it. I need to find a cigarette and Declan. Though not necessarily in that order."

   Tom walked briskly off of the balcony, Andrew not far behind. They entered the dining room and found Declan sitting by himself at the table.

   He looked up at Tom knowingly. "Any news?"

   "Tomorrow, midnight. You, me, and Toulouse. It's called the April Mission. It's very dangerous."

   Declan nodded slowly. "I understand, sir."

   Tom felt guilty for opening the letter at the last second. Only now had he realized that what the letter contained not only affected him. He entered the drawing room and found Toulouse sitting in an overstuffed chair by the fire.

   "Group Captain?" His dark eyes glinted in the firelight.

   "Tomorrow we're flying again."

   The Frenchman smiled. "I was hoping we would."