Five

One week passed, then two. Andrew had volunteered right after he and his new wife had returned from their honeymoon and was now training at an airfield in Brighton. Because of her husband's frequent absences and the loneliness she felt, Ellie spent more and more time with her daughter-in-law until eventually, they became friends.

   One day they were sitting together on the front steps of Andrew and Cora's new house when Cora burst into tears.

   "Cora, whatever is the matter?"

   "I'm leaving Hastings to work at a munitions factory in London. We need the extra income and Andrew thinks it's a good idea. He's leaving for Wales in three weeks anyway. I-I don't want to leave you though!"

   Ellie pulled her daughter-in-law into a big hug. "Cora, you do not need to worry about me. You are very brave. You are serving your country and helping to support your family."

Tears crept into the corners of her eyes. She pulled away and said, "But there will be consequences if you don't write to me, young lady!" Cora giggled and Ellie smiled.

   Her deception had worked. Cora was now care-free and happily chattered away about her plans. She had no idea how much pain she was causing her mother-in-law. Ellie had been left alone for about two weeks after the wedding and those had been some of the most heartbreaking of her life.

   The loneliness of it all had effectively gotten to her by the time her family had returned.  

   That evening, Tom and Ellie were in their sitting room on their sofa, hand in hand. Tom was leaving the next morning for Scotland. He looked at his wife's worried expression and said, "Are you really going to miss me that much?"

    "No, it's not, well, it is that, but...Cora's moving to London."

   "I knew that. I'm sorry, darling, I truly am. I know you've grown fond of her." Ellie nodded as a tear slipped down her cheek. "Don't cry, Ellie." He went over to the new radio and turned one of its many knobs on. As music filled the room, he went to his wife and extended his hand, "May I have this dance?"

   She smiled and took his hand. They danced to a gentle tune. It played through the song until the end. Then it cut out. The radio crackled and fizzed despite being recently purchased. Instead of getting mad like he normally would, Tom finished the last line of the song, "...And in your dreams whatever they be, dream a little dream of me."

   His rich, clear voice cut across the buzzing radio and made Ellie feel dizzy like she was falling in love for the first time all over again.

"You'll dream of me while I'm away, won't you?" He spun her around.

   "Of course I will."

   "I don't believe you," he said playfully.

   "Oh, really? Well then maybe we should exchange something as a sign of good faith."

   "And what would we exchange?"

   "I don't know, Mr. Brooks, what do you suggest?"

   "Well, maybe, this." And he kissed her deeply. The world stood still for a moment. Their lives were intertwined for a glorious minute, and it seemed like they would never be split apart. Their love was too pure to be separated for long. Then they broke apart and reality came back that they would be apart for quite some time. And, if unfortunate circumstances dictated, an entire lifetime.

   Now they were both crying silently. They nevertheless continued to dance, now cheek to cheek, their damp skin speaking more eloquent words of farewell than either of their tongues could have ever spoken. Though they would be far from one another, yet their love would live on.