Three

Andrew arrived at Cora's house twenty minutes later. He knocked on the door and waited a moment. Then the door opened and Cora's mother stood at the open door expectantly.

"Hello, Andrew! Are you here to see Cora?"

   "Yes, ma'am."

   "I'll go get her." She retreated into the house. "Cora! Cora, dear!"

   "I don't want to see him!" Cora's forlorn voice came ringing through the house.

   "You're going to marry him, dear! Why are you crying?!"

   Andrew opened the door. "Mrs. Prescott? Can I go up and see her?"

   "Of course, Andrew. Go on ahead."

   He lightly ran up the stairs and stood in front of Cora's bedroom door. He could hear her crying. He lightly tapped on the door

   Then, "Go away!"

   He opened the door anyway and walked in. "Cora, what's wrong?" Instead of answering, she threw a pillow at him. He caught it and set it on the bed. "Cora, what did I do?"

   "It's what you will do because you're honorable!" She sobbed hard with her arms wrapped around her body. She rocked back and forth. "You're going to enlist! I heard the Prime Minister this morning on the radio! You're-you're going to leave me!"

   Andrew sat next to her on the bed. "I can't change that there's a war. I can't change my desire to enlist. But, I can change something. Let's get married next week, instead of a few months from now. I don't want to wait."

   "That's because you might die! I don't want you to go!" He wrapped his arms around her in silent consolation. He didn't want to go. He didn't want to leave her. He didn't want to fight. He just wanted his old life back, the one he woke up with that morning.