Part Three ~ Chapter Fifty-One

****

Part Three

****

Chapter Fifty-One

Eli

The Factory is a series of large black buildings that stand tall and shoot up straight into the sky. It chokes out smoke in every direction, a dark black cloud surrounding it from miles away.

During the four days it took us to get here, Emery has not said a single word to me other than when barking out orders. Every night the soldiers that marched with us set up tents and make small fires, and every night, Emery has set up her own tent and hasnt invited me or anyone else inside.

She sent Ella back home to keep her safe, and though I know she's well guarded with a dozen of Blue's goons and a dozen Shadow Casters, I can't help but worry about her. If the Chancellor gets her hands on Emery's little sister, there's no telling what he could make her do. He might even force her to slaughter this entire army, and it would be easy--especially now that she can use magic in Shadow form.

That fact alone terrifies me. When I told my Grandmother about it, it terrified her, too. "How could let her take all that magic?" She scorned, but she was more worried than anything. "If you can't convince her to let it go, you know what we will have to do, and you know we have to do it before the Shadows consume her."

I know exactly what I'll have to do. But it's a little hard trying to talk some sense into her when she won't give me five minutes. But this is it, the factory is in sights, and once we take it I will demand to speak with her and explain to her what that much magic will do to her, whether or not she wants to talk to me.

She turns to me, her bright blue eyes lit up with the impending battle. She's been on high alert since the moment she stepped out of that elevator with Mateo, and I know it has to do with the magic he surely gave her. I'd rip Mateo a new one if I thought it would help, but the deed is done. There's no point in explaining how badly he screwed up now.

She is wearing all black, her hair pulled back. But a few strands have escaped the band on the back of her hand, causing lone hairs to fall in her face. Every time I see her, I'm astounded by how beautiful and strong she is.

"You both know the plan, but if anything goes wrong, retreat and meet back here."

The way she looks right now reminds me of the first time we met. She had been beaten and imprisoned for months, but she still had a fire inside her that burned brighter than anyone I had met before. It still burns, but now it burns with a purpose far bigger than just keeping her and her sister alive.

"Let's go," Huxley says, ready for action. We've been over the plan a hundred times. Over the layout of the factory just as much. We are as prepared as Emery will allow us to be.

We all make our way into the small opening in the cliff side. It will provide our bodies the cover and safety we need while we fight. Emery jumps into Shadow form first, a gold-tinted black cloud that escaped through the way we came. Huxley and I go next at the same time, following her close behind.

We land at the front gates, and Huxley gives the signal by howling to the troops in the distance. They come running down the road, popping up from every large rock and slight hill for a hundred miles. We're surrounded by dead field, which made it hard to find cover. But they all slowly made their way bit by bit into the field and took posts. They've been waiting for about twenty to thirty minutes, and I can tell just by watching them run that they've been itching to fight almost as much as Emery.